Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newbie questions...

Can someone explain wheel spacers and offsets to me. I'm researching getting paddle tires and don't know if I
need to also orders spacers.

I'm interested in getting Skat Trak Haulers, but don't what size tire and wheel to go with.
I do know the stock tires are (f) 21x7-10 (r) 20x10-9. Any help will be appreciated.

-Gene

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
coughlig said:
Sorry for the newbie questions...

Can someone explain wheel spacers and offsets to me. I'm researching getting paddle tires and don't know if I
need to also orders spacers.

I'm interested in getting Skat Trak Haulers, but don't what size tire and wheel to go with.
I do know the stock tires are (f) 21x7-10 (r) 20x10-9. Any help will be appreciated.

-Gene

Anybody?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
you don't need spacers and i'm not sure on off set, just tell them it's yamaha bolt pattern and you should get the right rim,
i would get 20x10x10 8 paddles..

·
Registered
5 Posts
wheels come with 3 numbers... for example 20x11x9 the 20 is the overall height of the tire, the 11 is the overall width of the tire, the 9 is the size wheel you need. there are also numbers like 4+5- that is the "offset" or how much wider/narrower the wheels will make you. for instance an OEM yamaha rear wheel is 9x9 (9 inches wide, 9 inches in diameter) with a 4+5 offset... if you would buy a 9x9 with 3+6 off set it would make each side 1" wider than stock. cause 3 is less than 4 and 6 is more than five. so the OEM wheel is 4" from hub to back side and 5" from hub to front side, the new wheel (3+6) is 3" from hub to back side and 6" from hub to front side (valve stem side) which makes you 1" wider on each side. for riding in the dunes i would go with a 9x9 or 9x10 wheel with a 3+6 off set making you 2" wider in the back for more stability. as for tires, i have no idea cause im a woods rider.

hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If you're looking for play tires get a set of sandstars. They're heavier but they handle well and they're considerably cheaper. If you want better performance and lighter weight but still want to carve the dunes get the skat trak edges. Sand skates are good too, but they aren't any lighter than the edges and they're pretty expensive also. I'd suggest 20" tall for any of these tires, but if you're in deeper or softer sand you may want the 21" edges for more clearance to the rear skid.

If you're looking for straight line hookup skat trak haulers or a variation of them are the best way to go. Regular haulers for most conditions, extremes if you're in rougher terrain (sticks and stones, pavement or gravel into and out of the sand area, etc.), and b2b or triple buff (ultralights) for all out drag racing and less concern for durability. I'd suggest either 21 or 22" tall tires for these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts