Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to widen my rear end as much as possible with wheel spacers.I do not jump only trail ride.what brand and website do you guys recommend?Also do i need to widen the front also? axels cost to much so that is why im going this route.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
im looking to widen my rear end as much as possible with wheel spacers.I do not jump only trail ride.what brand and website do you guys recommend?Also do i need to widen the front also? axels cost to much so that is why im going this route.
If you widen the rear without widening the front your bike will handle like anus.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was looking into this as well a while ago, and did some reading and sounds like they are okay for the rear, but for the front they can be harmful because they can bend your tie rods and put strain on the arms. But this does'nt always happen a while back on my old quad had 4inches on each wheel really stable quad it was nice and handled well no problems. I decided for my Raptor to get an axle and a arms in a little while they are expensive but it's better in the long run. As for brand of spacers Dura Blue is a good trusted brand.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I have DuraBlue Graphite Spacers on mine, they are 2.5" each on the back and 1.5" in the front. I do jumps and wheelies and they are fine so far. I really like them. I cant 2-wheel on any surface. I would get some.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
check rockymountainatv.com for the gforce spacers they are cheap and then get a diamond j customs widening kit for the front thats the cheapest and best route

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
do the g-force hubs, adds 3 1/2 inches. rmatv sells them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
+1 more for G-force extended hubs instead of spacers. About $100. Axle's only $200... I'd recommend just saving... especially considering you should be able to get about $40-50 for your stock axle.

And like JSanders said above, you'll handle like crap if the rear is real wide with a stock widtch front end... keep that in mind.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how much am i looking at for an axle and hubs(for the front)? should i go with 2" or 4" in the rear. 4" is not that much if looking at a tape measure.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
2". If your trails are anything like mine you can't go very wide without causing problems. I wouldn't do wheel spacers though. Some people have failures and others don't. Its not worth the risk to me.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I don't think they break. I haven't ever seen any pics or herd of anybody breaking them. People who run an extened axle are probably the biggest critics of wheel spacers. I have ran the durable front and rear spacers before with no problems. My brother in law has the extened stud wheel spacers on the rear of his raptor. They were on it when he got. They have been on now for 4 years with no problems. He isn't affraid to get off the ground. He has a mc freestyle ramp he hits on his cr250F, and cr450F.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The problem with running spacers, flipped or dished front rims on the front is it moves the tire farther out from the pivot point. This gives the tires more leverage against the steering system. So it makes for a little harder steering. If you catch something like a tree, rock, or root it is easier to bend the tie rods or rip the bars out of your hands.

The cheapest I would go widing the front end is a diamond j kit. It is brackets that bolt in to your factory mounting locations for the a arms and shocks. You then remount the stock parts to the new brackets.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Checkout DiamondJCustoms's widening kits. That's what I have on my bike.. It was the best 300$ I ever spent on my bike. I'm 6" wider up front and 4" wider in the rear with the kit, over 5000 miles of extreme abuse with this kit and it's as good as new and I don't think I'll ever go for a real axle or tabs.. No need, totally satisfied!

The only so-so thing on the kit is the tie-rod extensions. I bent one of mine (although I must say I would have bent something else if it wasn't that, crashed pretty hard). I bought some new +2 tie rods from TQS that I haven't installed yet, they will work on the 4.5" position. The bracket kit will work for both 4.5" and 6", it's the same kit and it has two pair of holes.. The only difference in both kit is the tie-rod extension lengths.

Also, I'm not using the brake line extensions even at 6". I re-routed my brake lines to the front of the a-arms and had to disconnect the T at the frame and move it forward. It's held there by a big tie-wrap, no problem so far.

As far as suspension geometry goes, it doesn't affect it negatively in any way. My friends all have tabs and when we switch from one another, they feel the same :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Can you still jump with the Diamond J Kit? But then your rear is much more narrow.
I don't ride tracks or anything but I catched some pretty nice air with my kit and never had a problem. I'm close to 300 pounds too, so I guess that's a pretty good test :)

As for the rear vs front.. The kit is available in 4.5" and 6" front (the rear is 4". I'm running it at 6" and I can't say it has any adverse effect on handling. I would recommend 4.5" up front though, 6" is very wide for some trails and it makes the bike a little harder to throw around.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I bent my rear axle with 4in spacers on the back (they were on the quad when I bought it) with a very light roll after snagging a little tree and I tipped over. I was very surprised that the axle bent as I wasn't going fast, just proves that trail riding can bend an axle too.... I now have a g-force axle and love it! My front end is stock and have no complaints, but I only have the back at +2...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Forgot to mention I rode with +4 spacing in rear for a few weeks before I installed the front of the DiamondJ kit and it didn't "run like an*s", it was better than stock for cornering. No adverse effects.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
spacers in the front give you more bump steer spacers in the rear increase the risk of a bent axle due to the extra leverage. get a g force axle and diamond j front end and that will be a sweet set up. or you can splurge and get the fullfliight a-arms off ebay....they are about 100 more than the diamond j setup;)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
spacers in the front give you more bump steer spacers in the rear increase the risk of a bent axle due to the extra leverage. get a g force axle and diamond j front end and that will be a sweet set up. or you can splurge and get the fullfliight a-arms off ebay....they are about 100 more than the diamond j setup;)
The diamondj setup I got was 310$ shipped and came with the rear spacers included... So 370$+110$ spacers is almost 200$ more. Still a sweet deal but it's not exactly about 100$ more :) Of course the FF setup comes with descent tie-rods off the bat so that's an advantage.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts