Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the 660 is supposed to be wheelie happy, but i cant seem to do them as well as others...

if i am on pavement, or on sand, its extremely easy to pull them up, and usually hold them, but i dont like doing it on pavment for the fear of falling off. most of my riding and where i try to do them is on desert trails here in az. if i am sitting down, its next to impossible to even get it up, if im standing, i can get the front end up, but not very high, and i can only hold it for a short distance. anyone want to give some pointers with this bike?

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
Sit back on the seat, put around in first gear just around idle, then hit the gas and hold on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
yeah, I cracked my ass doing that. No riding for a month due to the pain.

Remember, squeeze your legs tightly to hold on, keep your foot on the foot brake if it comes up tp high tap it to bring her down a bit.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
it will take practice, be patient. The only time I have trouble doing wheelies is when im in 1st gear off the pavement. I didnt used to have this problem but then my tires became bald and they just spin. They are super smooth like slicks, i could spin through every gear on a wet golf course and not leave a mark. Are you tires good?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
1st or second, hang on and be sure to pay attention to how much throttle you give it,in other words while tryin to squeeze the bars tighter to hang on don't give it to much throttle.play with power wheelies, bring the front up 2-3 ft and rool out with a little practice you will be able to ride through the gears,i found it easier to wheelie a 660 than a 700.the 660 has shorter wheel base and the engine is farther back in the frame.....btw, try not to use the old feather the clutch to pull the front up.you will surely loop it and watch you bike ghostride down the trail :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
danos660r said:
yeah, I cracked my ass doing that. No riding for a month due to the pain.

Remember, squeeze your legs tightly to hold on, keep your foot on the foot brake if it comes up tp high tap it to bring her down a bit.
I don't care who ya are, thats funny! :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John said:
it will take practice, be patient. The only time I have trouble doing wheelies is when im in 1st gear off the pavement. I didnt used to have this problem but then my tires became bald and they just spin. They are super smooth like slicks, i could spin through every gear on a wet golf course and not leave a mark. Are you tires good?
now that you say that, it makes sense....the fronts are new, but the backs are pretty worn, the original dunlops

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CoalShedRacing said:
sounds like a lack of traction issue to me, you said you try them on sand trails, what kind of tires you running?
in sand im running brand new paddles, but at home its the original dunlops...time to get new tires you think?

·
Registered
7 Posts
once you learn rear brake control you can ride a wheelie for miles and miles, its endless...

start off with the stand up wheelies (left foot in grab bar, right foot over brake)
sit down wheelies are less forgiving, you can't bail, and you can't see

the best way to practice is to lightly press the rear brake, and then clutch it up.

If you think your back to far (which your not) tap the rear brake.
just to give you a idea on where balance point is...
Doing a wheelie at walking speed my grab bad is about 6 inches from dirt...
:thumbsup:
practice slow and save your ass from being cracked....lol
good luck

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Sit back on the seat, try little wheelies off little lips to get your front end up a little easier...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Stand ups are a lot easier to do than sitdowns. Put your left knee in the seat and leave your right foot by the rear brake. In second gear bounce it then give hit the throttle. To do a sitdown sit back and almost from a slow rollon hit the gas. I also have a 12 tooth front sprocket so that helps me alot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I find that standing up is alot easier also. I would try second gear, just cruise along at a low RPM, let off the throttle for a split second , and then hit the throttle to get the front end up.The Raptor has enough low end that you should be able to get the front end up just by slapping the throttle. The Raptor has a fairly high balance point , so you really feel like you might go over,but just keep nursing the throttle little by little , back and forth after you get it to the balance point and you are in a wheelie. I find that my Raptor is best in second and third for riding wheelies. Also, try practicing riding the wheelies up hills...might sound crazy , but it is easier to lift the front end while climbing a hill . OFCROURSE, start with lower incline hills until you get it mastered. You really do not want to go over while riding a wheelie up a steep incline. Godd Luck !

·
Registered
373 Posts
if u do wheelies just be ready to fall back a couple times dont worry

its not ass bad as u think and the grab bar will stop the atv from falling back on u

·
Registered
12 Posts
tires make the world of difference when it comes to a good wheelie. The better tread you have and the proper set air pressure will make pulling mile long wheelies a breeze for you

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I ended up breaking about 3 grab bars by the time I was done learning.. :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.