Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a wheelie light on their rappy? I have been searching for one but havent found any yet.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sport bike guys often put a light under their bikes so as to illuminate the road when riding wheelies at night. It helps tremendously!!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
oh i get it. I was thinking it was a light to tell you that you were pulling a wheelie. I'm a dumbass. I was like " why would you need a light to tell you that your wheels are in the air?" my bad. but no, I haven't heard of this. Wait till some of the other guys log on and look at this thread, they will probably be able to help you out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, thats funny......I just saw on a sportbike forum where someone took a mecury switch from a trunk lid and put it on their wheelie light. The light comes on automatically when the front comes up 8)

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
hahahaha , i was in the same boat as raptorfreeek, but now it makes sence :thumbsup: i've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, Im sorry, I should have explained. Ive never seen one on a quad but in Dallas they are real common with the sport bike guys doing 100+ mph wheelies on 635 at 3 o'clock in the morning. Im looking at different tilt switches now that would allow it to come on automatically when the four wheeler reaches a predetermined angle. I may just have to get a light from Auto Zone or something that will fit and wire it up.

Any idea if this will negatively affect my battery on the rappy. (not sure of specs on light, Im thinking the square fog light type commonly sold at auto parts stores)

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
That would be called a Dee Dee Dee light! I bet if you made a light to tell youo if you were pulling a wheelie, people would totally buy it...all you have to do is market it right on e-bay.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha, no joke. people will buy anything you tell them they need!

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
You could tell people, "This light is SOOOOOO :eek: EXTREME...... it popped the drag tires we were using it to run a dyno test with :crazy:!!!!!!!" and "It is almost impossible to pull a wheelie without one, this light takes the guess work out of pulling wheelies; all this for only $49.95!!!! This is a limited time offer!"

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Zebradog said:
You could tell people, "This light is SOOOOOO :eek: EXTREME...... it popped the drag tires we were using it to run a dyno test with :crazy:!!!!!!!" and "It is almost impossible to pull a wheelie without one, this light takes the guess work out of pulling wheelies; all this for only $49.95!!!! This is a limited time offer!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sold!! Where do I sign??? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Zebradog said:
Who is selling them? Im in.

·
Registered
841 Posts
HAHA I hooked up up a few years ago on my streetbike :lol: Try it a few different ways...one was a hard wire, I turned it on with a toggle but it go annoying turning it on and turning it off so I installed a mercury switch, like the ones you find on hoods of cars to kick the light on when you pop the hood...it worked rather well (funny though cause you would be just riding and mash the throttle and it would kick on) but for some reason I kept breakin the fog lights I was using...after so many landings or a big enough bump the fog on the bottom of the bike would break off and go rollin down the road......its not hard at all to install one I kept up with mine for a few fogs lights or so then said fuck it (it is pretty cool though and it does work rather well on bikes at night :thumbsup:) and I never used mine for 100+ mph wheelies at 3 in the morning :lol:....I kept em to about 65 or so ( I tried to obey the law :lol:)

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Zebradog said:

Is there a group buy going on for this yet? :lol:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
James, I was wondering to myself today if I would flip the light on each time I dug in the throttle if I used a mercury switch. I guess you answered my question. Im trying to find a merc switch with a longer tube so it would be less likely to happen but no luck yet. I am probably going to put a rocker switch and a merc switch on it. During the day I could leave the rocker off then at night flip it on.

·
Registered
841 Posts
UpOnTwo said:
James, I was wondering to myself today if I would flip the light on each time I dug in the throttle if I used a mercury switch. I guess you answered my question. Im trying to find a merc switch with a longer tube so it would be less likely to happen but no luck yet. I am probably going to put a rocker switch and a merc switch on it. During the day I could leave the rocker off then at night flip it on.
It wasnt bad when you got on it but it "flicked" on.......you would be good with just a switch just mount it in a position where it would take more elevation to kick it on....keepin a fog light from being killed is gonna be your biggest issue....do you ride alot of wheelies at night :3question:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think ALL I do when I ride is ride wheelies, night or day. Lol. I wanting to get it soon because we are planning a beach ride in about a month or so. Where we ride at the beach there is no light at all except moon light and headlights. When the headlights are pointing north they arent much good tho. Lol.

I think it would just be cool to have and make my raptor stand out a little bit. Im also going to put leds on to give a little glow but I want a light that will project out in front of me when riding at night.

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
You should hook it up to one of those MR16HID lights man! From Trail Tech, those things have some LIGHT!!!! :eek: I put the smaller MR11s on my wife's Z400, and those things are bright! You can get just one, and they are pretty small, mount it underneath; or another good meathod os to get their helemt light, then you have light whereever you look.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i c i c....a cheap set of fog lights from walmart ($20) or something and a mercury switch (think i paid like $8) is all you need to do the job.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts