Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just got an 05 660 and would like to know correct oil and color of the oil so i know when it needs to be changed. how much does it hold?

·
Registered
173 Posts
i would change the oil and filter anyway if you just got it (i still have not changed mine since i got it haha)... if its black or a dark brown i would change it. theres a sticky for the factory service manual tells how much oil and everything else about the atv ( theres a sticky on how to change the oil i think), i downloaded it and glad i did, much better than paying $35 for the book from the dealer. i think it holds 2.5 qts.with out the filter change and 2.75 with the filter change

i would use yamalube oil, the oil watt you need depends on the tempature where you're at. the manual tells you what watt oil you need its probaly going to be 10w 40 or 20w 40

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
oil color is not a proper way to tell the condition of the oil. yamalube is a bottom of the line oil, dont use it.
either get amsoil or rotella and use a good filter most always use a 10w40 weight if using one of the 2 oil mentioned.
mike

·
Master of the Electron
14,549 Posts
Agreed with all statements above, except Rotella T6 is synthetic 5w40 and it is good stuff... so is Amsoil, and many other oils.

Just make sure, whatever you use, that it's JASO MA (motorcycle, wet clutch) compatible - on the label.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this forum is AWSOME im running K&N oil filters, is that ok for the oil mentioned ? thanks alot all

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
this forum is AWSOME im running K&N oil filters, is that ok for the oil mentioned ? thanks alot all
Yes they will work fine.

·
Master of the Electron
14,549 Posts
ANY decent oil and filter will work fine, as long as it's JASO MA (or other specification, specifically for motorcycle, wet clutch). We all have our favorites.

The important thing is to change oil and filter often - about 20 hours seems to be about the consensus around here.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thx fellas

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
I change my oil about every 4 rides or so depending on how hard I ride. $25 is a lot cheaper than new internals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts