Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i'm going to order some paddles in a couple of weeks.. Who has the best prices on Skat Trak Extremes Haulers 20x10x10 or 21x12x8 havent decided yet :3question: I know RockyMountain sells them but is there any other place better? I live in Indiana so i'm limited to Internet shopping not to many stores around here with Skat traks for sale.. Any input on sizes or anything else please chime in..

Thanks Ryan

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Don't get the 20x10x10, if you want a tire that slides and corners get the skat trak edge, don't get a low profile hauler that will offer less hookup and floatation. Go with the 21x12x8 on an 8x8 rim and you'll still be able to turn around but you'll go much better in a straight line. If you get hung up with a 20" tire go with the 8" wheel as well, but the taller 21 is better for hookup and floatation as well as ground clearance in the soft sand. IMO the cornering benefits of the low profile haulers are vastly out weighed by the loss in traction and floatation.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Don't get the 20x10x10, if you want a tire that slides and corners get the skat trak edge, don't get a low profile hauler that will offer less hookup and floatation. Go with the 21x12x8 on an 8x8 rim and you'll still be able to turn around but you'll go much better in a straight line. If you get hung up with a 20" tire go with the 8" wheel as well, but the taller 21 is better for hookup and floatation as well as ground clearance in the soft sand. IMO the cornering benefits of the low profile haulers are vastly out weighed by the loss in traction and floatation.
Ditto

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys :thumbsup: But is there anywhere else online to get a good deal on Extremes in 21x12x8??? www.smimotorsports.com doesn't show that size on there site..

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks for this thread!

I'm headed to Glammis in about a month on a very stock '07 GYTR. I'm also a big guy at 270ish pounds.

My friends are ex-Banshee guys. One has a set of haulers in 20x10x8 that he ran on his Banshee. His brother is looking at 20x10x10 and advising me to do the same.

I'm a dune newb and I was thinking that I should go for the Edge tires just to help me turn. I just don't want to be the guy getting stuck all of the time.

I was looking at the 20x10x10 Edges. I really like the 'look' of the 10" wheel out back but if the 21x12x8 is where it's at, I'll go that route.

What do you think, remembering that the Raptor is stock?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I think you should go with the taller tire and smaller rim, for better floatation and hookup. I also think you should go with straight paddles, it is not that hard to throw them around especially for a big guy like you. I weigh in at 180 on a good day and can thow the bike around with straight paddles on it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
pile0g00 said:
I think you should go with the taller tire and smaller rim, for better floatation and hookup. I also think you should go with straight paddles, it is not that hard to throw them around especially for a big guy like you. I weigh in at 180 on a good day and can thow the bike around with straight paddles on it.
Interesting.

Would going with the Extremes be too much?

Looking at Rocky mountain the Haulers in 21x12x8 only come on 10 paddle :crazy:

The Extremes and the Edges are available in 21x12x8 with 8 Paddles

Shawn

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
go with some 22x11x8 reg haulers 8 paddles on blue labels, you will love them

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks - I must have had a goofy session or something but I see them in 8 paddle now. They must be good, they are out of stock :lol:.

Now all they have in stock is the Edges in that size.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Shawnz, I'm 6'3 and your weight, so I know where you are coming from. If you are going to keep your quad stock try to get the Haulers in the 21x12x8 size with 7 paddles on it. If you are going to put the 3 mods on then go with the 8 paddle config. You can run Extremes but they are heavier than the haulers. The 21x12x8 will give you that extra floatation big guys like us need and it’ll give you an extra ½ inch clearance before you dig in and get stuck. They also ride smoother than the 10 inch wheels. Don’t worry about turning, you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks to you too BadRap.

I'm on the hunt for some tires!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Shawnz said:
pile0g00 said:
Interesting.

Would going with the Extremes be too much?

Looking at Rocky mountain the Haulers in 21x12x8 only come on 10 paddle :crazy:

The Extremes and the Edges are available in 21x12x8 with 8 Paddles

Shawn
No, don't go 10. In my opinion you should go with 21x12x8 with 7 or 8 paddles on haulers or extremes.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That much stuck.

I ordered the haulers in 21x12x8 / 8 Paddles.

Rocky Mountain is expecting a shipment any time.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys :thumbsup: I'm about 320 pounds so i weigh alittle more than u guys.. :lol:
Going with the 21x12x8 for sure.. What about rims ITP or Douglas????

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I went with Douglas .160s (black labels). They are probably overkill for Glammis but I figure they should still be lighter than an ITP and give me a little insurance in case I get aggressive or find the one tree stump in all the sand.

Shawn

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sand84 said:
Thanks guys :thumbsup: I'm about 320 pounds so i weigh alittle more than u guys.. :lol:
Going with the 21x12x8 for sure.. What about rims ITP or Douglas????
Either douglas 160's or 190's or ITP 190's just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well, now Rocky Mountain is estimating 2nd week of March which is about when I plan to go on my trip :eek:

So, the of these tires that 'are' available, which is the best choice:

Hauler:
22x11x8 in 7 or 8 paddle
22x11x10 in 7 or 8 paddle
20x10x8 8 paddle

Extreme grip:
20x10x10 8 paddle

Edge:
21x12x8 8 paddle
22x11x10 in 7 or 8 paddle

Given those choices I'm thinking the Haulers in 22x11x8 might be too much paddle. Only the Edges are available in the 'magic' 21x12x8 size.

Should I just wait it out for the haulers (and pray they get here before the planned trip) or just get the Edge paddles instead? My gut says get the Edge tires but I'd appreciate any input.

Shawn

1 - 20 of 33 Posts