Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. im at the final step in my 3 month battle. i have 12/40 gearing and a +2" swinger. the axle is adjusted all the way forward. i bought a 120 link chain as advised and cant decide where to cut it. with the chain stretched as tight as i can get it (which probably isnt that tight) im afraid it will be too short once i sit on it. keep in mind i weight around 135 with gear on. the next closest link looks like it will be waaay to sloppy. what would you guys do? heres some pics i took so you can see what i see.

will this be too tight? i know it has to stretch and i need to allow for that but this doesnt exactly line up..

this is the next link. im afraid it has too much slop. what do you guys think?

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
When I installed my new chain I couldn't decide neither.

So I've let an extra link, and if I notice that it's too loose when riding, I could cut the extra link, because it's easy to remove a link but it's a pain to put one.

However chain will get more slack when riding.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I installed my new chain I couldn't decide neither.

So I've let an extra link, and if I notice that it's too loose when riding, I could cut the extra link, because it's easy to remove a link but it's a pain to put one.

However chain will get more slack when riding.
thats what i was debating doing also. i really just want to cut it once and be done with it ya know? did you end up having to take the extra link out later?

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Not yet, maybe later when the chain will get more slack.

If you have a chain riveter, you could allready cut the extra link, but if you have to put it back, you'll still have to do something to the chain.

I'll let the extra link, it's it tight to the max on the second pic ?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Yeah man always cut it a link longer than you would think would be a perfect fit!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did like carpenter and tahitianrider said. thanks guys. with the axle adjusted all the way back there is a lot of play but when it stretches ill just cut 1 link out and it should be perfect. i bought a PB block off too. after i took the PB cable off it triggered the PB rev limiter so had to unplug that. thanks to quadmaniac and his writeup i was able to walk to my bike and unplug the white 2 pin connector so QM if you read this many thanks to you. after 3 months of my bike sitting there i finally got to ride it today. if you could only have seen my grin :D :D :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can run an 12, 13, or 14 tooth front without changing my chain, This is with a 44 tooth rear.
I installed my largest front sprocket (14 tooth), moved axle all the way up and cut the chain to fit.
If I throw on my 12 tooth front,I can still tighten my chain before I run out of axle movement.

To add
If your axle is all the way back and your chain isnt tight, cut out another link because it will get sloppy fast..

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah the axle is almost all the way back now. i figured when i noticed it getting sloppy i would hack the other link out. thanks for the advice man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts