Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just a quick question, what brand of bearings do most of you prefer?

Pivot Works
All Balls
Moose

I've got Pivot Works in my front hubs, and All Balls in my lower steering stem, but after some maintenance this weekend, I now have to replace the Swing Arm bearings, and the rear axle/Carrier bearings. The swind arm has some side to side play, not much, but it'll only get worse and it's probably original, and the axle bearing are howling slightly when I free spin the rear tires.

gonna order them tonight, so replies are appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I have all balls in my rear and they have been good so far. I did pack some extra grease in there for a little extra insurance. Since you have both pivot and all balls then you should know how they are. If they both have been good then I would say go with what's cheaper.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Honestly they are all crap. The stock bearings are by very far the best. Unfortunately they are also extremely expensive. Damn Yamaha.

Looking at our shared experience in my riding group, stockers will get about 6000 miles whereas all aftermarket cheapo-bearings get approx 1000-2000 miles before they need to be changed. This mileage includes lots of sustained high speed riding which from what we gather is what kills the bearings.

·
Registered
190 Posts
check out pivot works. the last time i bought bearing(month ago) they had a new sticker on the back, said lifetime warrenty!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I ended up going with Pivot Works for both the carrier and swing arm, my local dealer stocks Pivot Works now and they always give me a 15% discount on all parts I get there, so it was an OK deal. I also got an Oil Filter and 5 Quarts of Yamalube, and some new grips.

We're supposed to have severe thunderstorms all day tomorrow, so I'll get to spend the day out in my garage working on this. :)

·
Registered
521 Posts
SKF.
get the bearing number off the old ones and call your local bearing shop. the axles are 6007-2rs, seals are 42-62-8-1.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the rear axle out this evening, wasn't able to get the carrier out, but I was able to pull the old seals and bearings. Lets just say I'm not impressed or happy, the bearing and seals I removed are the exact same Pivot Works I'm installing...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just rebuilt the whole back end of my 660.. ALL BALLS!!!

·
GIVE'ER SUM
569 Posts
The entire rear half of my machine is pivot works. No complaints plus now with a life time warrenty is a great sounding deal to me. Of course this happens after i did it in the fall last year and warrenty didnt start til 2012. Lame! It shouldnt matter. Its still the same bearings! Sorry bout the rant

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Swing Arm off this afternoon, it had original bearings and seals, they were destroyed and there was allot of rust and corrosion, had the cut the old bearings out and clean everything up, got the new bearings bushings and seals installed, got the arm remounted only to find damaged threads on the pivot bolt.
I quit for the night, will call my dealer tomorrow for a replacement. On one hand it's a pain in the ass, on the other, there are very few things I like better than wrenching on my own vehicles. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, got it all back together tonight, still have some new bolts and nuts comming from my dealer, but they won't be in until tuesday, so I repaired the old ones for now.

Here's some of the original parts I pulled out.

And here it is back on it's own 4 wheels :)

Still to come, +2 A-Arms, YFZ Shocks, +4 Axle, Exhaust, Intake and tuning...
;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well, got it all back together tonight, still have some new bolts and nuts comming from my dealer, but they won't be in until tuesday, so I repaired the old ones for now.

Here's some of the original parts I pulled out.

And here it is back on it's own 4 wheels :)

Still to come, +2 A-Arms, YFZ Shocks, +4 Axle, Exhaust, Intake and tuning...
;)
I think from your pic Your inner axle nut is on backwards.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TBH, I wasn't sure which way they went, but I'm sure the last owner Mickey Moused everything he touched on this bike, when I went to removed the axle, the nuts they were barely finger tight. my manual shows the older 01 style nuts, so I looked through a bunch of Pix on here to see how you guys had them installed, plus with them installed this way, the Set screws line up with a groove on the axle and not on threads, so I hope it's right. regardless, I torqued it to spec per the service manual :). took it around the yard a few times last night, feels completely different now in turns, ride is smooth with no noise and when I shake the bike now, the only part that shimmies are the low pressure tires :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
TBH, I wasn't sure which way they went, but I'm sure the last owner Mickey Moused everything he touched on this bike, when I went to removed the axle, the nuts they were barely finger tight. my manual shows the older 01 style nuts, so I looked through a bunch of Pix on here to see how you guys had them installed, plus with them installed this way, the Set screws line up with a groove on the axle and not on threads, so I hope it's right. regardless, I torqued it to spec per the service manual :). took it around the yard a few times last night, feels completely different now in turns, ride is smooth with no noise and when I shake the bike now, the only part that shimmies are the low pressure tires :thumbsup:
Your right, I looked to quickly... Lol

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Exactly, awesome, your right...............:wow:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts