Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, my name is lee and i have a delema.
ok, i have a 2006 raptor 700 se and i thought it would make a world of difference if i bought a pair of elka front race shocks(piggeback,compression,rebound,preload) they were used off of ebay for 700 dollars, they were valved and sprung for a 160 pound guy and they don't really do much compared to the stock shocks for me . i'm 280 pounds with gear and i ride trails, i'm not to agressive either!( i cruise in 2nd and 3rd only) and go to the mx track just as much,i hit small jumps and table tops(never clear them). the elkas dive in the corners and i think? the rear is bottoming out. all i want is a plush ride, is this to much to ask?opinions on the situation please.
well i want to get right for me and i hope it can be done.
what company should i get them done at ( i want triple rate in front and at least double rate in back)
elka( i hear they can't valve that good)
ATV Suspension Tech - Total Control Suspension ( they some good)
derisi( i hear great things but peole say expensive
noleen( does gust shocks
shoock works
shocktherapyracing
gt thunder
and any you can add
i forget the site but one puts different badders and is able to put a hi/low speed compression on a regular COMPRESSION SHOCK
need advice please

·
Registered
988 Posts
Id have to vote for GT Thunder.....havent heard a bad thing about them yet

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
I got mine down with TCS, from

http://atvsuspensiontech.net/tcs.htm

I got a Zero Preload setup, dropps the ride down a few inches, I LOVE IT! The guy there, Joe, really hooked me up, they custom fit these shocks for me. I also got a set for my wife's Z400 and those are great as well. I highly recommend TCS, and they have reasonable prices for rebuilds as well.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would love to lower it for better handleing but doesn't that take away ground clearance, i was looking into atv suspension tech just because they pay the shipping for revalves

but, i want to know more about noleen and derisi
(how good are they)

·
VIP AKA Corn Dog
1,855 Posts
You actually gain suspension travel. Cal that guy Joe, he can explain it all. You aren't really losing clearance because the lowest part of your bike the the rear skid plate, not the frame. I hate how high the raptor is, I like it lower not, doesn't feel so top heavy.

·
Suffering from Chronic Tinkeritis
779 Posts
Zebradog said:

I got a Zero Preload setup, dropps the ride down a few inches, I LOVE IT! The guy there, Joe, really hooked me up, they custom fit these shocks for me. I also got a set for my wife's Z400 and those are great as well. I highly recommend TCS, and they have reasonable prices for rebuilds as well.
TCS is tough to beat the quality for the price

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so what no has any opinion on other companys than tcs and ohilins
i guess no one has opinionsons derisi or noleen
please i need more feedback

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would not discredit Elka. I would vote Elka or TCS. I think ELka charges $300 for a re-valve, I know people who have done what you are trying to do through Elka, they are happy. My Elka Shocked Raptor is ultra Plush, and I am bigger then you.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Zebradog said:

Would the TCS be good for a guy who rides the trails really hard with the occasional jump and plans to do some XC racing this year or next. The zero preload racing rebuild is what I am eyeing up. Front and rear. I weigh 215-230 with gear. I just don't want to spend the cash now if I will need to upgrade in a year.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cbase31 said:
I would not discredit Elka. I would vote Elka or TCS. I think ELka charges $300 for a re-valve, I know people who have done what you are trying to do through Elka, they are happy. My Elka Shocked Raptor is ultra Plush, and I am bigger then you.
what exactly did they have done and what stuff do they ride
why gt thunder,why ohilins
why not derisi racing
why not noleen

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thia weekend i will be sending my shocks out to OHLINS to get re-built.... once i get them back i can give you more answers.... I am choosing OHLINS bcs they have been around for a LONG time, they have GREAT customer service, they garentee their work (if you arnt happy they will pay for shipping and re-do your shocks as many times as it takes to get them right).... I have just heard great things about Ohlins...
My only debate was btwn Ohlins and TCS.... still kinda deciding... but leaning towards OHLINS.

Plattner

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hey Plat Let me know how you feel with whichever you get. I am planning on doing the same thing next and the same two companies are which I am deciding between.

·
Registered
815 Posts
DrD - I have been misunderstood - I was talking to I-shock in the past not Ohlins.... Ohlins doesnt even do re-builds of factory shocks...
So i am sending my shocks to I-shock, for all those reasons i listed in my previous post...
ha ah ah my bad.... im an idot... i dont know how i got to comnpanies mixed up.... but oh well
anyway raptor700riders - MY VOTE IS FOR I-shock

Plattner

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well I-shock is closed on fri, sat, sun.... they are only open mon-thur.... So i cant call and get price quote until monday.... oh well, i called a couple months ago when i was trying to get that group buy going.... (no luck on that-they wouldnt do it).... and they told me a price for re-building my shocks, but i dont remember what it was...
OH well i am going to go ahead and pull my shocks, call on monday, and then ship immeditely if their prices havent gone up a bunch. ha ha

Plattner

·
Registered
119 Posts
Lee,

Let me start by saying that I'm looking into the same options as you. I will be purchasing long travel (possibly standard travel) a-arms and zero preload shocks for my new ride.

Here is the 1st thing that struck me about your post,
raptor700rriders said:
i bought a pair of elka front race shocks(piggeback,compression,rebound,preload) they were used off of ebay for 700 dollars, they were valved and sprung for a 160 pound guy and they don't really do much compared to the stock shocks for me . i'm 280 pounds with gear and i ride trails,
This is like you, or I (I weigh 255) trying to fit into a size 30 waist pair of jeans. You might get into them, but they will be popping at the seams! The same goes for the valving in your shocks. If your rear wasn't rebuilt, or hasn't been replaced with a correctly setup & valved shock, then the bike's geometry will be way off, negating the change in the fronts. You have to have a balanced ride. Elka's would be fine if the rear was correct and if the elka's were valved for your weight.

Purchase a rear, and then see how big of a difference the elka's made. Until then, your shortchanging your purchase. Get the bike balanced and then assess the fronts.

FWIW...I'm looking at only 3 options:
1) I-shocks 5500 series if they can be built for me, if not then:
2) Laeger's long travel a-arms and tcs built fronts (zero preload) with a rebuild on the rear at the same time
3) " " elka quad rate (zero preload) with a elka dual rate rear.

Just my .02
Tim

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow, i was kinda thinking that but your right, i think i'm just going to sell the shocks back on ebay. by the time i spend the money on getting the fronts revalved and resprung along with the rear for me i can just buy motowoz fronts and rear for just acouple hundred more
look at the motowoz on the forum and you'll forget all about the elkas
i probably would of bout the motowoz instead of the used elkas, but i hate remote reservoir for front

1 - 20 of 21 Posts