Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching for some widened a-arms so have time to spend...but came across a decent deal on YFZ shocks which got me to thinking: Which upgrade would be better? YFZ Shocks or the Diamond J widening kit? Which plays a bigger role in stability? Since adding the GForce hubs the Raptor feels MUCH more stabile, I mean that I can now slide the Maxxix Razrs and the bike doesn't feel like it wants to flip over nearly as bad. I've only ridden my own '01 with the stock shocks so don't really know how big of a difference shocks can make. Please share your experience.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
i have a pair of 450 shocks on my 04 and they feel great , my neighbor put on one of those widening kits and eventually it broke on him , his caller bone too ., iwould not use it , thats just my opinion, thanks

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
i have a pair of 450 shocks on my 04 and they feel great , my neighbor put on one of those widening kits and eventually it broke on him , his caller bone too ., iwould not use it , thats just my opinion, thanks
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that your neighbor was probably using the Diamond J for something more serious than just trail or dune riding with the occasional small to moderate jumping. That, or he probably hit something with it to bend or break one of the components, in which case, it wouldn't have made a difference if it was the widening kit or actual A arms. The Diamond J kit is a pretty stout kit, it would take something serious to break it. I've got one on my bike, had no issues with it, and there are plenty of others that have had no issues with theirs either. Sorry to hear your neighbor had a bad experience. I've also got YFZ shocks on my bike, and what a huge difference those made as well.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Get the yfz shocks over a diamond J, and keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a-arms. Regardless of the method of widening, the stock shocks are not really up to the task.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Get the yfz shocks over a diamond J, and keep your eyes peeled for a good deal on a-arms. Regardless of the method of widening, the stock shocks are not really up to the task.
I agree, I have the 450 shocks on mine and there great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any years that are preferred? Any years to avoid? Are all years 3 way adjustable?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
Are there any years that are preferred? Any years to avoid? Are all years 3 way adjustable?
Not 100%, but I believe 08+ are a better design and from what I remember had a extra adjustment compared to the earlier years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I might be wrong but doing the diamond J kit would bring your shock mounting bracket on the a-arms out 2 inches which mean the bike would sit lower am I right?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I might be wrong but doing the diamond J kit would bring your shock mounting bracket on the a-arms out 2 inches which mean the bike would sit lower am I right?
From what I understand there is also a shock mount relocation bracket on top, which allows the shock to stay at the same angle as OEM.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
From what I understand there is also a shock mount relocation bracket on top, which allows the shock to stay at the same angle as OEM.
Roger that, the geometry isn't affected a single bit, everything is just moved outside the frame. It's not as smooth as a-arms, but the difference, in my opinion, is barely noticeable. Long travel does make a noticeable difference though.

As for the kit breaking, I can't imagine a situation where this kit would break where a-arms wouldn't. It's a damn tough kit... I'm 285 pounds and I've been ridding my bike like a bat out of hell for 1.5 years with this kit and it's still all straight. The only exception are the tie-rod extensions, I bent one slightly last year... 55$ real tie rods from TQS fixes the issue cheap enough not to be a concern IMHO. On the 660 the tie-rod extensions are even smaller, so I would definitely invest in tie-rods right off the bat for a 660.

As for shocks vs widening... IMHO both the pogo shocks and the narrow width of a stock Raptor are an issue so it's a matter of what's your biggest concern right now... is it bouncing all over the trail and bottoming out all the time, or is it almost flipping over and working too hard when concerning? If your shocks are in good health I suppose you could do the widening kit first, but if they are loose already, the shocks would definitely take priority.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I have read, you have the option to use the top shock bracket to keep the same geometry or not use it to lower the front, or use the 4.5" top holes with the 6" a-arm mounting holes to lower it a smaller amount. I was planning on trying the various options to see what I like best-if I get the Diamond J. I have not ordered anything so I still have my options open. I was hoping to hear back from Misfit, they have a kit very much like the Diamond J but much less expensive, and there are tie rods available on ebay for $35 + shipping which would make their kit with tie rods still less than the Diamond J kit.

qcraptor, those are some very good points. My pogos are still in good shape, and I haven't really gotten to the point that I bottom them out much. I'm 200 pounds so I may not be far from bottoming them out, just haven't reached the limit of them yet with my limited riding experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts