Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a brand new 700R SE first week in April of this year - put about 11 hours on it and then did my first oil change. Used a factory filter and o-rings at change time, but used Amsoil 10w-40 ATV full synthetic. No issues, no noise up until that first oil change. After the oil change, the Raptor was fine for a few hours and then it developed a type of whine in the upper rpm range, like from mid to max rpm in each gear. No other changes to the machine other than using the Amsoil. I know that's a great oil, used by a ton of motorsports peeps, but maybe I should have used Yamalube for the first few oil changes to essentially help the parts wear in nicely, and THEN switch to Amsoil full synthetic for long-term use. Maybe there's something else going on, not sure, but I have warranty until October, so it would be nice to figure it out soon as I can. I just picked up some Yamalube 10w-40 conventional oil and I'm at 19 hours with the Raptor now, so I think I will change back to the conventional Yamalube this weekend and test. Anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I changed my oil this weekend and used Yamalube 10W-40 and the noise has gone away, lol. Thinking it’s possible it was the clutch making that noise and it didn’t like the Amsoil for some reason. Oh well, nothing wrong with Yamalube. Plus it’s cheaper! Just have to change more often.

·
Administrator
9,451 Posts
That is weird. I run Amsoil and have zero issues. This is the first I have heard this issue, glad it was resolved though.

Reactions: Sixpack577 and Trev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem with Amsoil here either.
Yeah, it's nutty. Amsoil is a gold standard, so it's a real head-scratcher why the noise disappeared after switching back to conventional. Just bought a case of Amsoil, too! Good thing we can use it in my son's older TRX300EX - that machine doesn't act any different with the Amsoil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts