Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.. me again.. haven't been on the rappy much, but once i did i dunno what happened, i took it out and was riding it harder than usual last thursday.. anyway so on my way back i noticed a noise that only started once i down shifted.. it wouldn't happen all the time and the whining isnt continuous.. only when the engine is in high rpm.. sometimes it didn't even do it then.. but it was very annoying and very worrying.. some of my buddies said it might be from the tires.. but i'm sure it's not cuz it seemed it was coming from the direction of my right foot right next to the peg. a friend of mine said it might be a minor issue with the gear not getting in place correctly.. either or.. i am taking it to the dealrship to check it out.. but was wondering if any of you guys encountered the same issue??.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The first thing I checked in your signature was what exhaust you were running. Trinitys pipe whistles when you let off the gas. You said you had more of a whine though, so I dont know what to tell ya.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I'm not sure how much time you have on yours but I was told it was just chain noise. I was still a little concerned because my other 350's don't seem to carry the same noise. I've continued to ride mine and it's not been getting worse...but I know what your talking about. Mine is most noticable when going really fast and then when you start slowing down to almost a running pace you can hear it. Lastly it could be the chain rollers also...but with mine being brand new I was doubtful.

Mike

·
Registered
912 Posts
Mines does the same thing when I slow down. I think it the chain roller because its coming from the left side of the quad. I wouldn't worry about it too much if I was you. 8)

·
Registered
899 Posts
No noise here. I have had the rollers make noise but after I tightened the chain to specs that went away.....but thats on the left side , he said the right...water pump, clutch.
Must be a good noise to hear it over the WB pipe

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I've got stock exhaust and heard something similar on my quad. I couldn't tell which side it was coming from but sounded to me the same as when I'd downshift a manual transmission car at too high an rpm.

Took it to the shop for 20-hour maintenance and the sound dissappeared. The chain was tightened and valves adjusted as part of the service so am not sure exactly what it was. But it's gone now.

About a month ago I was able to completely open my quad up and ride it until it quit accelerating. The stock tires seemed to whine (on wet/packed sand) once I got into fifth gear; though I didn't really hear it until I let off the throttle so it could have started in fourth. I've never heard them whine in third. It was a good sounding sound (there's my education paying off).

·
Registered
226 Posts
It might be that your chain/sprocket is not lubed enough. Or perhaps there is something caught rubbing the chain on the decline in speed. Same sound when my girlfriends '86 suzuki 230 rides down the hill w/o thumbing the gas

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glamis700 said:
The first thing I checked in your signature was what exhaust you were running. Trinitys pipe whistles when you let off the gas. You said you had more of a whine though, so I dont know what to tell ya.
nah the exhaust isnt an issue cuz it only recently started doing it.

but the thing is, once i downshift, the sound appears while i'm holding down the clutch, not after i release it.. so the decrease in speed isn't that great since i'm holding the clutch only and not actually releasing even tho i am down a gear... and i could swear it was coming from the right side. i hope that was understandable.. :3question:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts