Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
White smoke is usually a sign water or coolant is getting in the combustion chamber...is your coolant level in the radiator or reservior going down at all?

It may also be a real lean a/f mix but it usaully doesn't go away after warming up.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
if it stops within the first 20 seconds its probably worn valve stem seals and you are seeing oil smoke at startup, if it continues to smoke until the engine is warmed up fully, its probably worn piston rings.

if its a head gasket, it will come out as steam but disappear instantly, if it lingers, its oil smoke.

·
Registered
177 Posts
is it smoke or steam??

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
just to clarify, when a Raptor blows a head gasket, they usually push the water out of the radiator and into the overflow bottle. I've only saw one blown head gasket put water into the combustion chamber and that was a motor where the piston deck height wasn't properly set by another builder and the piston lifted the head off the jug.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Raptor motors-auto motors ....two different things...Just using past automotive exp to diagnosis a present quad problem.. Always good to learn more!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Umm they are all 4 stroke internal combustion engines. If they are soo different please clarify. The last time I checked anything that burns coolant will smoke white, and anything that burns oil will smoke blue. I have seen that with quads and cars....I dont see why the "Raptor" engine would be an exception. But please correct me if im wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.