Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took their raptor back to the dealer to have them do the first service on it? Should I do it my self? Dealer quoted 250.00 plus parts, what all are they going to be doing to my quad? Any help would be greatly appriciated! :help: :help: :confused:

Michael

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Most dealers offer a first time back special. My local dealer offered one for $150. Service included adjusting the chain, changing the oil, and adjusting the valves.

I did it myself for the cost of oil and filter and my time.

~Brian

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RaptorFreeeek said:
I signed up for the 2 yr agreement. It is 150 dollars each visit. It will pay for itself and then some, in 6 visits. Well worth it IMO.
What do they do every time you take it in? and how often do you take it in?

Michael

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I take it in every 20 hrs. They change oil, check spark plug gap (change spark plug if needed) check tire pressure, adjust, clean and lube chain, measure and adjust valves accordingly, wash quad. Clean air filter. check tension in all cables. But, I've been told that not all dealerships go to these great lengths either. Guess I just got luck with my dealer, and they have great customer service!

·
Registered
580 Posts
RaptorFreeeek said:
I take it in every 20 hrs. They change oil, check spark plug gap (change spark plug if needed) check tire pressure, adjust, clean and lube chain, measure and adjust valves accordingly, wash quad. Clean air filter. check tension in all cables. But, I've been told that not all dealerships go to these great lengths either. Guess I just got luck with my dealer, and they have great customer service!
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!! I need to get stationed at Mountain Home!!!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess i'll just stick to doing the service myself then cause I can't throw down that kind of cash all the time! :crazy:

Michael

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
11raptor....I paid 899 for this service agreement. It is good for 2 full yrs. and like I said, within 6 visits, its paid for itself. I've had the quad for about a month now and have 50 hrs on it already. visit number 3 is almost around the next weekend. You do the math, yamaha is getting shafted on this one. If it wasn't for the service agreement (they call it PPM i think) it would cost me $150 dollars a pop, not counting parts and such.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RaptorFreeeek said:
11raptor....I paid 899 for this service agreement. It is good for 2 full yrs. and like I said, within 6 visits, its paid for itself. I've had the quad for about a month now and have 50 hrs on it already. visit number 3 is almost around the next weekend. You do the math, yamaha is getting shafted on this one. If it wasn't for the service agreement (they call it PPM i think) it would cost me $150 dollars a pop, not counting parts and such.
I'll check out the service agreement! thanks How long did you keep your breakin oil in before changing it?? :help:

Michael

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RaptorFreeeek said:
20hrs like the manual said
I'll check the manual again, but my dealer told me to bring it in at 10hrs. for the first service. Thats why I asked 8)

Michael

·
Registered
19 Posts
RaptorFreeeek said:

think what you want but yamaha is not getting shafted

·
Registered
357 Posts
RaptorFreeeek said:
Not to rain on your parade, but paying $150 every 20 hours for service is quite expensive.

Oil filter = $10 max
Oil 2 quarts (amsoil) = $15 max

That's $25 tops.

Checking valves with a feeler guage is no big deal and the other stuff is just cleaning which should be done after every ride anyway.

Buy the scotts oil ilter for $60 and you'll never need a oil filter again.

Do the maintenance yourself if you can turn a wrench. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chicagoland Atv said:
RaptorFreeeek said:
Not to rain on your parade, but paying $150 every 20 hours for service is quite expensive.

Oil filter = $10 max
Oil 2 quarts (amsoil) = $15 max

That's $25 tops.

Checking valves with a feeler guage is no big deal and the other stuff is just cleaning which should be done after every ride anyway.

Buy the scotts oil ilter for $60 and you'll never need a oil filter again.

Do the maintenance yourself if you can turn a wrench. :thumbsup:

Actually the yamaha oil filter that I just bought was over $10 w/tax :p :crazy: Whats so good about the scotts oil filter is a aluminum/re-usable filter? :confused: Does everyone actually clean there chain with cerosine (spell? :3question:) then re-lube doing that whole prosess? Just woundering :metal: :woot:

Michael

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
:wave-finger: to all the flamers out there. My bad for trying to give my input. So from now on, I'll just stop being nice and stop helping people out. (even though that's what I thought this forum was for) Oops, my bad for trying to help out a new rappy owner.

·
Registered
357 Posts
RaptorFreeeek said:
:wave-finger: to all the flamers out there. My bad for trying to give my input. So from now on, I'll just stop being nice and stop helping people out. (even though that's what I thought this forum was for) Oops, my bad for trying to help out a new rappy owner.
No need to get excited. I don't think anyone was flaming you. People are just pointing out that you can do your own maintenance for a lot cheaper than the dealer. There really isn't too much involved in doing it on your own service.

Some people are not mechanically inclined and the dealer service IS good for them. (Which may include you, I don't know you) The guy who orginally posted ask if he should do it himself. My answer is, if you can turn a wrench, do it yourself. It's a lot cheaper than the dealer and the parts/tools you need to keep around to do it on a regular schedule don't cost that much if you don't have them.

Think about this for a second.

If you rode your quad for 2 years (24 months) and drove 20 hours a month. That would be 24 dealer services, right? Your deal of $150 per 20 hour service at the dealer would come out to be $3600 in the two years. Lets also not forget about your time to travel & gas spent transporting to the dealer 24 times. That is a lot of money for 2 years of service.

·
Registered
824 Posts
im not the great with mechanics, i brought the rappy back for the 1st service ($199.99) and the print out showed they did alot of things. and it said my chain was really loose. i am gonna take it back once more after the snow leaves, to check everything out. and while im there im gonna pick up my own oil and filters so i can start doin them myself. i didnt have many tools but the ones i did have got ruined/lost all in the fire. so i went out and got all new ones.

but i will go there every once in awhile so i can make sure everything goin good.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts