Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put on the ProTech MoFlow Airbox Lid and was wondering does it help out alot or make a big diffrence? i havnt had the chance to ride it after i put it on. i know alot of people use no lids, but where i ride theres always water spots ill have to go through.

so was just wondering for the people who do use aftermarket lids, does it help?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I have one and it helps.

I wasnt pleased with the seal when I got mine so I added some weather stripping were it meets the airbox and it seals tight now. I run a UNI and like to play in mud and water so its a must for me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
bberck said:
I have one and it helps.

I wasnt pleased with the seal when I got mine so I added some weather stripping were it meets the airbox and it seals tight now. I run a UNI and like to play in mud and water so its a must for me. :thumbsup:
i sealed mine in too with weatherstripping, i run the k%n with the outerware and the mo-flo an i think it works esp if u seal it :grin_nod:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for mentioning that cause i didnt know to put w.s down. ill pick some up today.

·
Registered
340 Posts
DrDsRaptor said:
I have the EHS and I am very satisfied with it.
I have the EHS also. Works great, probably the best one out there since it uses a modified OEM lid.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Which one's better Pro-Tec or EHS? It looks like the pro-Tec would flow more air. How good are they at not letting water in? I'm not talking submersion just your occasional ride through a puddle.

Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Broken Arrow said:
Which one's better Pro-Tec or EHS? It looks like the pro-Tec would flow more air. How good are they at not letting water in? I'm not talking submersion just your occasional ride through a puddle.

Thanks
I have had both and the EHS is what I still have. I sold the Pro-Tec on Ebay.. When you pay almost 100 bucks for a lid it should seal and the Pro-Tec will not seal with out weather stripping or something like that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
MAN said:
I have had both and the EHS is what I still have. I sold the Pro-Tec on Ebay.. When you pay almost 100 bucks for a lid it should seal and the Pro-Tec will not seal with out weather stripping or something like that.
Good to know :thumbsup:
Did you notice a difference in the amount of airflow/performance? Did you have to cahnge your map?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Broken Arrow said:
MAN said:
Good to know :thumbsup:
Did you notice a difference in the amount of airflow/performance? Did you have to cahnge your map?
No difference at all. Still on the same map and the plug still looks the same. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I never quite understood all the fuss about an airbox lid with a giant hole in it not sealing. :eek:

I run the Pro Tec, and it's fine.

·
***Wildland Firefighter***
3,031 Posts
type36 said:
I never quite understood all the fuss about an airbox lid with a giant hole in it not sealing.   :eek:

I run the Pro Tec, and it's fine.
If your not worried about it sealing, then why not just go without a lid? Why buy a lid with a filter on it when it will not filter effectively, Kinda like saying your actual air filter lets air through so why worry about it sealing correctly...it s the principle of actually filtering the air, thats the whole point of buying a filter lid, filtering while enhancing flow.  :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
The air filter on the intake is the one that needs to seal, the lid is merely a prefilter. The amount of air let in by the lid not sealing perfectly is miniscule, hardly enough to have any effect on filter cleanliness, which is the actual purpose of a prefilter--- THAT is my point.

Having said that, could it fit better for the price? Of course. Is it that big of a deal?. Functionally, no, esthetically, maybe.

I could spend 10 minutes adding a dollar's worth of weatherstripping. That would still be far less effort and time than people spend making PC III's waterproof, AC nerfs fit, or LTE"s fit, and those cost a HELL of a lot more money. With the possible exception of the LTE's, those 3 items get a lot less bad press on here than the Pro Tec.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I modified mine for a whopping $16... Used 12 of the 1" Diameter UNI Filtered Airbox Vents. My settings on my Dobeck TFI needed to be changed a little bit compared to running with no lid, but not very much. It runs just as strong...in the woods it actually feels stronger. I positioned the vent holes in areas where if I went thru water, it wouldn't fall directly onto the air filter.

·
***Wildland Firefighter***
3,031 Posts
type36 said:
The air filter on the intake is the one that needs to seal, the lid is merely a prefilter. The amount of air let in by the lid not sealing perfectly is miniscule, hardly enough to have any effect on filter cleanliness, which is the actual purpose of a prefilter--- THAT  is my point.

Having said that, could it fit better for the price? Of course. Is it that big of a deal?. Functionally, no, esthetically, maybe.

I could spend 10 minutes adding  a dollar's worth of weatherstripping. That would still be far less effort and time than people spend making PC III's waterproof, AC nerfs fit, or LTE"s fit, and those cost a HELL of a lot more money. With the possible exception of the LTE's, those 3 items get a lot less bad press on here than the Pro Tec.
I get your point. Im just saying that if you arent going to have a good seal on a prefilter lid then there is no point in having one on at all. Just run without a lid. And yes I know the actual filter obviously is the one that NEEDS to seal. but if your going to prefilter it might as well fully seal also. Just like if I were to run a prefilter on my actualy filter I would expect it to fully seal otherwise its just a waste of money. Just my 2 cents  :thumbsup:

I personally woudnt have a problem addiing weatherstripping to a lid I already own to make it seal better, but since I know there is one out there that actually seals like it is supposed to I would prefer to buy that one. assuming price difference isnt outrageous.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Im just saying that if you arent going to have a good seal on a prefilter lid then there is no point in having one on at all. Just run without a lid.
I must disagree. If you think a filtered lid with a tiny 1/32 gap in one small area is the same as no lid in terms of keeping your filter clean, then there is no point in continuing this discussion.

I have run just about every type of filter and prefilter over the years. My Pro Tec fits good, and does a better job than the Outerwares wrap that I had on this same filter. I am sure that because it seals perfectly, the EHS does do a better job, to a tiny degree. That however, does not render the Pro Tec as junk, as is constantly implied.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i just took the rappy down the road and back and i deff like the sound of it :grin_nod: i honestly didnt think it would change the sound, as far as feeling the diff ill have to see when i go trail ridding (hopefully tomorrow)

the lid fits pretty snug, it dosnt move at all and its pretty tight, but ill prob just add WS to it to make sure the water stays out

1 - 20 of 30 Posts