Raptor Forum banner

Who Has Moved Their Key To The Reverse Knob Location

5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  06RAPPY700R 
#1 ·
The DRD reverse switch showed up today and I was wondering what you guys used to move your ignition where the key goes over to the reverse knob location. Is there a bracket made for this to hold the ignition securely where the reverse knob was mounted?

#4 ·
Glued in the fender? I have been thinking about doing this also... maybe you could post some pics? ? ? thanks man.... i am very interested in doing this though.... what do you do if you need to take the front fender off? ? if the ignition is glued? thanks

Plattner

#7 ·
I did the same thing except I have not glued mine in and I used a rubber washer made from an old grip I had laying around. It seems to be staying put just fine so far.

Jay

#8 ·
Anyone wanna give their impressions of the DRD switch? Functionality and such.

TIA

#9 ·
I think it is great. I had to move it around a little on the bars just because of the position I like my throttle to be in but, it is much nicer than having to reach down to the fender.

Jay

#11 ·
I didnt know you coul mount the VAPOR on the handlebars like that..... bcs i would like to get the Vapor, but i didnt want to have to spend double the money to get the handle bar mount for the VApor....

How do you like the Vapor being there on your handlebars? I think i am going to order the DRD so i might be needing some help when it comes time to move the ignition to the fender...

Thanks Plattner

#13 ·
im thinking of getting the dr.d reverse also and moving the key to the reverse hole. I have the trail tech endurance and the bar mounts but the mount doesnt have a place for the key so it kind of sucks

#14 ·
Cool graphics 06RAPPY700R! Regarding the handlebar mount/protector from TT. Don't you have a hard time looking at your computer because of the crossbar on the handlebars?

#15 ·
The Vapor comes with a plastic handlebar mount. It works good as long as you don't overtighten the bracket that goes on the back of the Vapor and crack it. Also, I put a rubber washer from a hardware store between that bracket and the handlebar clamp and that stopped it cracking from the vibration of riding along the tracks all the time. After those couple of trials I haven't had any problem with it and it's pretty protected from branches and crap where I have it.
I didn't feel like spending the extra bucks for the billet either, but I do like the looks of them and you can get them with the ignition spot now.

#17 ·
I made a bracket that bolted to the headlight bracket. Useing the two holes that the reverse lever bolted too. It was pretty simple. I used an angle bracket you can pick up at any hardware store, wal mart etc. I had to rebend it and drill another hole to match it up to the existing holes in the headlight bracket. Then i just used a hose clamp that when around the ignition switch and the angle bracket tightened it down and seems to be very solid. The hard part is getting it centered in the hole in the front fender. If anyone is interested i can take some pics and draw out the measurements for ya.

As far as the Dr. D reverse lever goes i think it is getting to be a standard upgrade for the raptors. So much nicer not having to reach down and turn the switch to get into reverse. Very easy to install. It comes highly recommened from me.

#19 ·
I just did this and used the dr. d plug. No glue and it works awesome.

#22 ·
#24 ·
You have to bend the bracket that holds the cable down by the gearbox, the one your stock cable is attached to. Also run the adjustment nuts on the new cable all the way out. Otherwise the Dr D (and there was a writeup on this online, too) is too tight to get any play in the cable. Just the opposite of what you're thinking ATC. After I had mine mounted I accidently went right into reverse when downshifting, no harm other than a thud because the clutch was in. This was before I tweaked that bracket. After use the cable will stretch a little and this isn't a problem.

#26 ·
I drilled a hole, used a dremmel to notch it like the original plastic holder the ignition switch was on. Then took the cable holder that was srewed to the light and used it to hold the ignition wire. Then I popped the plug in, pushed the ignition up from the bottom, and put a rubber washer/gasket on then screwed down the plastic nut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.