Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Dirty Lil Bastard
602 Posts
There is a guy here in TX that is selling an 03 YZ250F for $1800. I'm gonna take a look at it and see what kinda shape it's in. He said it needs some carb work but I want to see how nasty this thing is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
cr's suck. worst 2 stroke db i have ever rode. my buddie has a 00 cr250r and another buddie has a 05 cr250r. the 05 is much better then the 00 but they both are week on the lowerend compared to yz250 and rm250. Good dependable bikes but they are not for me, i hate hondas 2 strokes. they make a much better 4 stroke

·
Registered
131 Posts
how are the kawasakis?

kawasaki's are good bikes, seem to be a lot like suzukis.
I would go with a 2 stroke if i were u, they are very good bikes. Very cheap to keep running compared to a 4 stroke. U can also pick up a good clean used one for cheap, If u look around a bit. keep us posted on what u get.
Highly recommend a 01 or newer suzuki rm250 or yz250

·
Registered
120 Posts
that 125 will be a lot faster than u think... people are kind of underrating them here...
dirtbikes are much quicker and harder to keep under you than quads are and 2 strokes are quicker than 4 strokes are too. 125s are fast...
That all depends on what terrain or track you are on. look at james stewart when he was stuck on his kx250, when he had to race against ricky on his 450f, he worked his butt of just to keep up, and he even said he was at an disadvatage. A 125 is going to be hard pressed to stay with a 250f (riders being equal), same for 250 vs. 450f, the track really needs to favor the two stroke, woods riding the two stroke in my opinon gets the nod because of weight and ease of moverability it tight areas. A cool thing is with rule changes taking affect that now you can race a 250 two stroke in the same class as a 250f, that makes it more of a toss up, the two stroke is lighter and makes a good 10 hp more.
If all you can find is a cr250 than try to avoid the 1st gen. of their aluminum frame, not good. still try to find a yz250 in your budget, good all around bikes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
ya agree, but the 450f should have advantage vs a 250 2 stroke. twice the engine.
I think a 4 stroke bike is much easyer to ride then a 2 stroke. i ve rode both owned both and also like both, but in my world a 250 2stroke is were it is at. perfect balance of power and wieght

·
Registered
120 Posts
yep, owned both also, 250's are fun, but i can be much lazier on my 450 and still be going fast, but you are right the weight at times can be a handful.

·
Registered
103 Posts
what would you guys recommend? a kawasaki yamaha or suzuki 250? stuck in between those 3. 2 stroke

·
Registered
348 Posts
get a yamaha i had a 99 yz250 and it would kick the shit outta my raptor 700r (of corse my little bro was riding the raptor) but i could get my bike up to around 60-65 on dirt which was plenty fast. It just had TONS of power. and im 5'10 at around 170lbs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i wish i could buy new, but im lookin at an 01 kx250, 03 yz250. maybe on 02 rm250. anything wrong with any of those years? recalls or something?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would buy a rm250 but i needs to be 01 or newer or a yz250 would be my close second choice.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I know alot of the 4 strokes up till 2005 had some minor issues with the valves and stuff, but the newer models 06 and up are pretty strong as long as you keep a clean air filter and fresh oil in it, I was qouted 5600 otd for a brand new 2009 kx250f.. you really should look into the four stroke market.

·
Registered
103 Posts
so is suzuki like really good? i really like the kawasaki cause of the green. would that b good?(try and talk me out of it if im makin a bad choice). i want a 2 stroke.

·
Registered
993 Posts
so is suzuki like really good? i really like the kawasaki cause of the green. would that b good?(try and talk me out of it if im makin a bad choice). i want a 2 stroke.
Suzuki usually scores around the bottom of the shootouts, unfortunatley the two stroke market is all but dead, they dont make any more new ones, just find the year you want to buy and look for the shootout online from a place like dirtrider, motorcycle usa or transwordmx, they have good reviews.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have rode all brand 2 strokes from 00 up to 08. I think rm and yz r by far the best, The rm turns very well, and the rm and yz run the best i think. cant go wrong with either.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yea, no doubt they are fun.. just be aware that you may not be able to find parts for them in the near future with the government regulations getting more strict with 2 strokes.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts