Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I use a Garmin Etrex for road riding because the speedo's on bikes are never right...

Its ok but older technology the newer stuff is better I'm sure..

The mount is a Ram Line mountain bike setup..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Unfortunately, there arent many GPSs for off road use.
that one I have is pretty sturdy and suppose to be water proof but it is an older unit..

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just ordered one but it's on backorder till the end of the month
Youll have to let me know how it works. Where i ride, the trails are right next to each other, but separated by 50' in elevation. It may look like the trail is right there, but you might have to travel half way around the mt to connect to it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check out the garmins. GPS with built in walkie talkies. Also it will show where the other person is at on your screen. My friends and I all got them so they are really handy when we get separated on long unfamiliar trail rides. Honestly,, it saved our life a few times, especially in Alaska. They do Elevation as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out the garmins. GPS with built in walkie talkies. Also it will show where the other person is at on your screen. My friends and I all got them so they are really handy when we get separated on long unfamiliar trail rides. Honestly,, it saved our life a few times, especially in Alaska. They do Elevation as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=146
That sounds pretty cool, how do the walkie talkies work? can you make them voice activated or itergrate them into your helmet? most of the guys I ride with have the Collett helmet communicators.

How does it seperate the elevation?

·
Registered
135 Posts
That sounds pretty cool, how do the walkie talkies work? can you make them voice activated or itergrate them into your helmet? most of the guys I ride with have the Collett helmet communicators.

How does it seperate the elevation?
The walkie talkies are just like standard off the shelf ones. They have thier line of sight limitations. The 5 watt models will do just fine for us. They do have a voice activation feature with them, and a headset you can wear. I dont have the headset, so I don’t know how comfortable it is in a helmet.
By separating the elevation, you mean on the map itself? It shows contour lines. The further you zoom in the more detailed they are.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
By separating the elevation, you mean on the map itself? It shows contour lines. The further you zoom in the more detailed they are.
That's the onlyproblem with the small screened units. Mine is the garmin etrex legend hcx full color display and high sensitivity receiver ( which is very important in forested areas).
But you have to zoom in so far to bring up the contour and trail lines that it's difficult to get your bearings on where you are. Larger screens are better JMO Also mine shuts itself off if there's too much vibration which really pisses me off cause I lose my track log :mad:

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see what you guys are saying. Im really interested in the Trail tech Voyager. It claims to be designed for moto. You also have all the side benifits like engine temp and such. I wonder if the screen will be large enough to display accurately. It is also wired to your quad, so theres no charging.

Do you guys use the various websites to download trail maps? How does that work. I didnt see much for where I ride, but there was alot for the west coast.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I see what you guys are saying. Im really interested in the Trail tech Voyager. It claims to be designed for moto. You also have all the side benifits like engine temp and such. I wonder if the screen will be large enough to display accurately. It is also wired to your quad, so theres no charging.

Do you guys use the various websites to download trail maps? How does that work. I didnt see much for where I ride, but there was alot for the west coast.
Yeah that trail tech Voyager looks pretty awesome, I was just on the site that Is the first time I saw these.

As far as trail maps go, I haven’t found a site that has maps to download for riding. That would be awesome though.

What I will usually do is get the Coordinates where the trail head starts. Then I can find it using the truck GPS. Then use my portable one to map them out. You use the computer program to review your tracks, save, edit, and so on.

Im not sure how trail tech ones work, but with garmin you have a very basic map from the factory. Then you have to buy the North American Elevation map, and load specific portions (Or all of it if your GPS has enough Memory).

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah that trail tech Voyager looks pretty awesome, I was just on the site that Is the first time I saw these.

As far as trail maps go, I haven’t found a site that has maps to download for riding. That would be awesome though.

What I will usually do is get the Coordinates where the trail head starts. Then I can find it using the truck GPS. Then use my portable one to map them out. You use the computer program to review your tracks, save, edit, and so on.

Im not sure how trail tech ones work, but with garmin you have a very basic map from the factory. Then you have to buy the North American Elevation map, and load specific portions (Or all of it if your GPS has enough Memory).
Your talking about the garmin rhino series right? I have one of those too and used it on my outlander on long trail rides. I was really impressed with it.

They make an powercord for a 12V auto style plug. The rhinos eat batteries pretty quickly so I would get the powercord and wire up a 12V plug.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill check out the Rhinos, but Im waiting for a true ride review of the Voyager before I make a buying decision.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
My voyager was shipped yesterday, should be here next monday. I was told it wasn't going to be in stock till next monday but oh well. Good thing I have monday off to install it

1 - 20 of 47 Posts