Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just that since people associate them with speed and racing and hill climbs that they "assume" they are more dangerous?

Now maybe i'm wrong but I would think my 600+ lb utility quad would've been more dangerous in the riding I did than a sport quad would be.

Granted I wasn't racing or doing hill climbs, but I would do power slides at aggressive speeds with very large lug mud tires, plus it would do 65 mph.

I would think a sport quad that is basically the same width and wheelbase, but lower seat height and lower overall height, would be less likely to hurt me and lose control in the same situations.

Now I still consider myself a novice sport quad rider, and have never raced or done hill climbs, so I am very open to being told i'm completely wrong and dumb when it comes to sport quads haha

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Unlike dirt bikes, quads roll with you, not away from you. That is the short answer... And you're right, people associate speed with sport quads..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I know that with the dirtbike, that's why I was comparing sport quad to utility quad. I've heard utility riders say sports were more dangerous.

Of course that could've just been their distaste of sports quads!

·
Registered
214 Posts
people associate sport quads with racing, the look really fast.

so anything that has to do with racing is dangerous.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
people associate sport quads with racing, the look really fast.

so anything that has to do with racing is dangerous.
:) right on

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
IMHO it's the other way around. Dangerous people like sport models, so inherently, sport models are associated with danger :p

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
you can achieve much more dangerous goals with a sport quad like back flips and shit....but a 1000cc ute can be just as deadly

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
The better handling you spoke of in your(op) first post of this thread can lead people into a false state of security and make them ride past their ability. It's no mire dangerous really than a bigbore ute just ridin a lot harder so the percentage of an accident tends to raise some then. That's just from my own thoughts I could be wrong idk.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can get hurt on anything. I've hurt myself just cruising on a utility and hitting a hidden log in high grass....the jolt in your shoulder when the wheel yanks the handle bars. I can make a utility do almost anything a sport can do....it's all in how it's ridden. They are equally dangerous...in not more...You can over load a utility, higher center of gravity, and 4*4 which makes you push it more. Now with what i see people doing in these side by sides...I believe they are the most dangerous. Seems everyone i see is flipped....with more then one person in them. What it comes down to is the person and if they are dangerous and don't know what they are doing or their abilities. The machines don't ride themselves, you have control of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The over the confidence is also something I thought might play into it.

Like I said if I can do a powerslide on a 600lb ute with very aggressive mud tires, I know I could also do it on a sports quad.

Now add in more speed or a more aggressive turn with the sports quad and not enough experience and I can see it going bad.

But what I was getting at is it would seem a sports quad vs a ute, in the same situation, with an equally skilled rider, would be more stable because of the dimensions. Again I could be wrong though

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
I think more accidents happen on ute's... anybody can jump on a ute and put it in H and hit the throttle...many rookies are afraid of sport bikes because of the clutch and shifting...thats what the KFX700 was designed for.....killing rookies

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
It's really the rider if he/she is an idiot he/she is is gonna get hurt sooner or later on anything they ride or drive. One thing I learned early riding was, it's not if you wreck. It's when you wreck. It's bound to happen if you ride a lot. It's coming so if your acting a fool when it happens like 90% of mine have it's the riders fault for riding a trail they didn't know the best or hitting the track full speed before doing a ride around looking for mud puddles big pot holes, ruts, or rocks exposed from rain and such on a un-groomed old home made track people just play on now. A little common since goes a long way. You can learn a lot from a dummy do everything opposite and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sprot bikes are more fun, and the ute guys are hating on us....

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I think more accidents happen on ute's... anybody can jump on a ute and put it in H and hit the throttle...many rookies are afraid of sport bikes because of the clutch and shifting...thats what the KFX700 was designed for.....killing rookies
Also true I've seen idiots do this idk how many times some noob one a bigbore ute automatic.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
Hey hold my Beer and check this out....hahahah lol Most ute riders drink beer and trash up the trails.. I ride to fast to drink beer and ride...haha My old Brute Froces 750 Broke more of my friends than any sport quad so I sold it to my dad... oh and he drinks beer and rides it very slow.. :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Brutes are strong especially that 750 V twin. It's as fast in a drag race as most stock sport quads. I'd go as far to say out the box it's faster than most sport quads 300' stock for stock. It's like Dale said hold my beer watch this, which goes back to my term idiot. You gotta respect the machine you're on don't override its ability to stop,turn, or any other maneuver you may need to make and the other 1/2 don't let a good handling machine trick you into riding above your limitations. I've done both I've learned thankfully with just bumps and bruises. Some people that's how they gotta learn some will be wise and learn from others. Those that are hard headed like I was/am at times hopefully you don't get hurt bad. You know the old saying though right " A hard head makes a soft ass"

·
Registered
217 Posts
Really are they considered THAT dangerous. Years back, the quadzilla was band for being to fast and unsafe....yet now we have 700's and even 800 4x4's. The older 250 hondas where almost as fast, and the tecates.... So somewhere along the "unsafe line"...things changed...does it come down to the fact insurance companies just don't know, and are trying to make the rules and guidelines? The manufactures will try to make anything the consumer will ask for....

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
if the media wants to make something look dangerous all they have to do is search youtube for about 3 minutes.... they get all the footage they need...and they can make stuffed animals look dangerous because of the stupid shit dumb asses do with them. they'll start a news story and show every video of people on youtube crashing while not wearing helmets and make us all look bad

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
if the media wants to make something look dangerous all they have to do is search youtube for about 3 minutes.... they get all the footage they need...and they can make stuffed animals look dangerous because of the stupid shit dumb asses do with them. they'll start a news story and show every video of people on youtube crashing while not wearing helmets and make us all look bad
+1 I personally don't think any quad is worst than the next you just gotta use some since and not over do it. Anytime you push the envelope you're gonna be taking a chance. Sport is associated with racing and race crashes are usually worse than a normal crash cause other contenders can run you over or vise versa plus in a race you're running balks to the wall so it may hurt more. Everything is dangerous if you look around the air ain't safe the water certain foods are health food 3 years later it's bad for you. What's the point of this thread? Is it which type of ATV you gonna get hurt on easier if so it's a toss up really. If you don't respect the machine and the environment your riding in it doesn't matter your gonna make a mistake and could possibly get hurt. Just wear all your protective gear and be as smart as possible riding. The biggest part is people just jump on en and go before anyone's told them about body English riding position to sit in most accidents stem from from rider error I'd say 85% or better are from rider error IMHO.

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
Quadzilla was never banded they just stopped making them and the insurance companies do not make any rules the government does. ( The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission )
As far as witch 1 is more dangerous sport or ute. I would say with some of the utes reaching 800+pounds fueled up and can reach speeds of 70mph+. Hands down there are more dangerous. Factor in the ease of use witch should be a good thing but then you have a quad that ANY ONE can jump on and think they can ride and it the ute even more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts