Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seem to strugggle with wheelers on this thing. yes its my first quad and first bike i've ever tried wheelies on. i always cover the front brake but i get so nervous and just like freeze i guess. and if i go to high (which you need to be to keep one up) im afraid ill flip her over again. Any suggestions? im getting a yz250 race ready for 200 bucks this weekend and i think itll b a lot easier to wheeler on 2 wheels than 4. i think im half nervous because on a quad you cant put ut foot down.... so any suggestions?

·
Registered
18 Posts
its easier to pop a wheelie on a dirtbike but not easier to ride one. Just go out into a grass field and pop the front wheels up ass high as you can and just keep practicing until you find your balance point. if it does come all the way back its no big deal, just push it back over.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What are you riding? Either buy or fabricate along back bumper for a wheelie bar. I can stand mine straight up and it won't flip over ever. As for riding them out... Lower the air pressure in your tires so they are kinda soft. What kind of tires you have on it? Try popping it up in second gear... How much do u weigh? lighter guys will have a harder time than heavier guys. sit on the very back of the quad start going and then dump the clutch as you give it gas.

·
Registered
827 Posts
from what ive found out unless your pulling second gear wheelies..... when your really moving.... you wont flip it over as the grab bar will stop you from doing so.... at least for me thats the case..... heres a pic os prove it....

·
Registered
735 Posts
I find that I now keep my foot on the rear brake. It is esp usefull on long steep tricky hills. when I lift the front, I already have my foot on the brake applying a little tension, this slows the lift a bit too. also sit way back to keep the balance point lower. The further up on the tank you are the faster it comes up and the higher it comes up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My first quad too. And still learning.

After a friend broke my stock grab bar, I welded up a new one. First thing I did was stand the quad up on the back tires and bar and try to rock it back. My main fear was the bar not being able to keep the quad from going over backwards so I stood tried it out. The bar is solid and it won't flip backwards. I say go out there and do that so you know in your mind it won't go all the way over (unless you get crazy with it.) After that I decided to learn to ride a wheelie. Everybody else can ride one but me so I had to figure it out.

I idle usually in first, hang my butt as far back as I can and punch the throttle to maybe 1/3 or 1/2 or so. Whatever it takes to get the tires up. After that it's just small adjustments to keep it going. I'm still working at low speeds so I can get used to balancing it. If it goes all the way back, it will grind to a stop. I just can either pull myself back to my feet using the handlebars or just let go and kick the quad back on all fours and get up.

My problem is the engine starts to flood and stumble or something after a while.

I like that second pic. I've never seen the back tires off the ground like that before. I've got two pics of wheelies but no err... helmet... so I didn't post up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am certainly no expert, actually far from it and may be stating the obvious but if you feel you are going to far back just touch the rear foot brake it will very quickly put you back on all fours. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
im 135 pounds soo you would think itd be hard to get up...but if u have it in whatevr gear, low rpms and tap the gas and get her to hop a little then just punch it and lean back you should go right up, well mine does but anyway if u get nervous(like everyone does when there learning)hit the rear brake and ull go right down

ya i have the DG fat bar too and it keeps me up

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
it just takes practice. this is my 1st sport quad as well. iv drove 4x4 4 wheelers my whole life, but this is my 1st racer. right away i was sticking to 2nd gear. eventually i made my way up to 3rd (which is my favorite now). 4th is pretty easy now too, but you need to pull back pretty hard. i can even do it in 5th, but i have to be running at just the right RPM and pull back hard as hell. im a 230 pound guy, so i have alot of weight to throw into it. hopefully after i get my intake/exhaust/jets all done, 5th gear wont be so hard....

·
Registered
145 Posts
it depends a lot on your size and the quad you ride.

mine is modded and it was scary as hell to wheelie it becaus it would jump back so fast but on my friends 450r it was so easy - its really light and you can pick it up so easy. once i got comfortable on that i went back on the raptor and it was a lot easier. im not really crazy about wheelies because if i want to show off i'd rather drag someone :) but its good to know.

my friend is light as hell though and he was the only one who could wheelie the ds 650

·
Registered
162 Posts
are you power wheeling it or clutch it up? Everyone has there own i prefer the clutch and second gear , some times third.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
:eek: no clutch for me.......that cant be good for it...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Its good to get a rolling start, if your not yet capable of switching through the gears while wheeling then use 2nd or 3rd as your base gear to start, 2nd for the people having a more difficult time. You'll find its natural to sit and do a wheelie just because the balancing point is less effected by the lower center of gravity. Standing up while wheeling gives you the advantage of having more control over your bike, good practice is to keep your right foot on the brake (not pressed down) that way if you do get into a tight spot its ready to press and your on all 4's again, as oppose to being on your grab bar. Another benefit is that you can see where your going instead to try looking around the side of the quad. I use both methods. Its imperative that you try not to rev out the motor to get your wheelie to last longer, learn to shift through the gears and balance the quad.
I'll post a video of one by the end of the day for you. ok not today, spent the day getting my @ss chewed by the wife :(
For those who need to pop the clutch to do a wheelie with a raptor , you shouldn't be riding one....the torque alone should put you up in the air... With just my ct pipe and a good hard pull back I was popping wheelies in 4th and shifting up to 5th once in the air...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Standing really is the way to learn, you can go a lot faster and longer and feel more secure. I usually keep one foot on the seat to balance myself a bit more on the quad.

The first time I stood her up I was missing 2 bolts that hold the grab bar in place and when the bar hit the dirt it was done! Bent it every which way you could think of :lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wanna know what really sucks? When you are doing tricks and it goes down on the grab bar. Today I was doing wheelies with my legs over the handlebars, and it went down on the grab bar. I couldn't hit the back brakes and I was stuck on it with my legs still over the handlebars LOL! Talk about an awkward position.

Anyways, it didn't flip over. I have never had it flip over on any qaud; I have set it down on the wheelie bar doing like 40 or 50 MPH before on my predator 500, and it never flipped. Also, the back brakes still bring it right back down if you use them, even while on the grab bar (but it may take a second to work, since the weight comes off of the tires for a second, as the quad tries to pivet backwards on the grab bar, then goes back down on the tires).

·
Registered
65 Posts
...and putting your feet on the seat is for :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(babies. :thumbsup:

you should never have to pop the clutch unless your already traveling like 35mph,
just keep practicing sitting from a slow roll in 2nd, punch the throttle and pull back smoothly, you'll know where the balance point is if you actually do get it on the grab bar, then you'll know how far it took untill then (its farther than you may think), but use the rear brake when you feel it and youll drop right back onto all 4's

·
Registered
735 Posts
i prefer rolling the throttle on instead of punching it but it all depends on your bikes state of tune, Id try both ways, be careful and make a habit of having your foot on the brake and ready. I have to do this to make a turn at speed becasue my tires are never really on the ground when Im on it. Mine tends to act like my old CR500... very light in the front

1 - 18 of 18 Posts