Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I just rebuilt this quad again has less than 10-12 hrs ride time on the rebuild. Valve deals were replaced during rebuild. The quad has set for a few weeks, went to start it the other day and it smoked blue out the exhaust for 10-15 sec then went away. I noticed if i it idle then stab the gas it would puff smoke. What gives. The whole reason for this most recent rebuild, is the quad began to smoke during start up and throughout the rpm range it got bad so had the engine re-honed since I noticed the cross hatching was gone, I got new rings, and valve seals, the piston to cylinder tolerance checked out so did the valve guilds. Put it together has ran good for 10-12 ride hours, but now it's smoking on start ups. I am trying to sell this quad but can't do it with it doing this crap. This quad has been a pita.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Do you put some kind of plasic protector over the valve stem when you install them. Other wise the notch where the retainer sets can tear a seal.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope never heard of that lol. I did have one valve seal that didn't feel as tight on the valve when I installed them. Like with the valve seal and valves in only I can plus shake the head in my hand 4 valve seals wouldn't let the valve slid out unless I pushed them out. But 1 valve just by shaking The head the valve would just drop out . I didnt think much of it put the spring and retainers on and when ahead with project. Oh three of the valve seal the dealer gave me where black the other two blue???

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Guys I just rebuilt this quad again has less than 10-12 hrs ride time on the rebuild. Valve deals were replaced during rebuild. The quad has set for a few weeks, went to start it the other day and it smoked blue out the exhaust for 10-15 sec then went away. I noticed if i it idle then stab the gas it would puff smoke. What gives. The whole reason for this most recent rebuild, is the quad began to smoke during start up and throughout the rpm range it got bad so had the engine re-honed since I noticed the cross hatching was gone, I got new rings, and valve seals, the piston to cylinder tolerance checked out so did the valve guilds. Put it together has ran good for 10-12 ride hours, but now it's smoking on start ups. I am trying to sell this quad but can't do it with it doing this crap. This quad has been a pita.
Make sure that the seals are installed properly onto the guides, that they are seated fully and straight..................

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Idk I just took the wiseco rings put them on the piston and walked the jug over them. My neighbor said the gap looked good. How do you gap them measure them then file them down?
You install the ring squarely in the bore using the piston to align it, then measure the gap with a feeler gauge, .003'' to .004'' per inch of cylinder bore, if it is to small, you need a special rotary file to grind the ring ends or use a file held in a vise and squeeze the ring tight on the file and drag the ring across the file

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't check that. But wouldn't it smoke from day 1 from the new build? It only does it on start up for few seconds, only of the quad sets for a few days. And it will only do it if I stab the gas really hard after its been idling for a few minutes. Sounds like valve seals.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I didn't check that. But wouldn't it smoke from day 1 from the new build? It only does it on start up for few seconds, only of the quad sets for a few days. And it will only do it if I stab the gas really hard after its been idling for a few minutes. Sounds like valve seals.
It could be rings also from your description..............

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tell ya this quad has been the biggest pain in the ass ever. I have had this thing apart many times now. Think I got it right put a few hrs on it and it never fails to let me down. I rebuilt the orginal engine because after a while it started to burn oil. I rebuilt it with wiseco 101mm wiseco rings .040 over bore and valve seals. Rode it all summer and it started puffing smoke again, after a few more hrs it smoked heavily when i rode at any rpm.Took it apart again noticed the cross hatching on the cylinder was gone already good indication I got dirt in the motor, had it re-honed, new rings but same piston new valve seals, new air filter ect. I have put 10-12 hrs on that and it's smoking again. I might just sell it as is, I am at my wits end with this bike.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I tell ya this quad has been the biggest pain in the ass ever. I have had this thing apart many times now. Think I got it right put a few hrs on it and it never fails to let me down. I rebuilt the orginal engine because after a while it started to burn oil. I rebuilt it with wiseco 101mm wiseco rings .040 over bore and valve seals. Rode it all summer and it started puffing smoke again, after a few more hrs it smoked heavily when i rode at any rpm.Took it apart again noticed the cross hatching on the cylinder was gone already good indication I got dirt in the motor, had it re-honed, new rings but same piston new valve seals, new air filter ect. I have put 10-12 hrs on that and it's smoking again. I might just sell it as is, I am at my wits end with this bike.
From experience I have learned that a properly built engine runs flawless, but one that has problems built into it will have those problems surface when it becomes operational.............:)

·
Registered
865 Posts

Are you running the factory air filter setup?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Think it's a proflow, foam filter with a foam cover I oil it regularly. That's what happened to my first build I was washing the filter but not oiling it. So now I wash it let it dry and oil it so dust particles don't get it the motor.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today it only smoked on start up with choke on, once it got warmed up with choke off it didn't smoke at all. Smelled like fuel but maybe oil to. Check my oil dip stick and I am way over on oil. Don't know how that happened.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.