Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it sounds like there are rocks or something rolling around in my stock tires. what is that??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Those are for condensation purposes. 3 or 4 small round balls. Thats all theres no harm. I have them in mine too. Have fun

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
It's actually dirt that gets between the tire and rim that mixes w/ the lube they put on the tire to mount it around the bead. Over time the dirt and lube mix together and just form small round balls. They are not balancing weights or anything else you hear. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol alrighty :thumbsup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I took of my stock tires they were in there and my buddy said they were balancing beads, well i put some in my hand at it was soft and fell apart, but none of them were the same size which made me believe it was dirt mixed with something, after all that speed they turn into balls i guess. but ive heard though they were balancing beads. . .

·
Registered
178 Posts
fastazzraptor said:
it sounds like there are rocks or something rolling around in my stock tires. what is that??
Space Monkey Poop?

Seriously, the explanations are "all over the road". Mine doesn't have enough hours on it for that much dirt to have gotten inside the tires. Besides, I realize they are low-pressure and all, but they are still higher pressure than the atmosphere, so if an opening occurred that was large enough to let dirt in, the higher pressure and smaller molecule air would be escaping, not sucking in dirt/dust.

My seat of the pants guess is that they are for balancing. Different size beads would make sense so they would automatically arrange themselves per that particular tire's balancing needs.

Here's a site that shows different styles of beads, and they are not uniform at all: http://www.counteractbalancing.com/compare.htm

The ones in the Raptor sound larger, to me. My guess is that they are adequate for balancing an offroad vehicles low pressure, small diameter tire.

Other than that, I dunno?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The most realistic thing that I have heard about what these "balls" are, are the release agents that are used during the manufacture process. As the tires flex the material breaks off, and then the tumbling rounds the bits, and collects the smaller pieces. I know that they are not anything to do with balance of the tires.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
I talked to a Yammy Tech at the local shop.....they are just dirt/rubber balls. When you jump or turn, your bead around your rim will flex allowing some dirt to get through there, it's not rocket science.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The little beads are made from the sealent and the tire mold release agents in MFG. when you run the tires the stuff flexes, heats, cools and forms the balls as the tire runs around. Balancing beads are a product you can buy, not what is in your stock ATV tires. I have talked to different tire companies and received the same info.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It still doesn't make sense how dirt enters while the pressure inside the tire is greater than the atmosphere. Gas flows from high pressure zones to low pressure zones. That is how rockets overcome gravity and propel themselves.

As far as manufacturing and/or mold release residue---has anyone found these balls in any aftermarket tires that were new when mounted?

Has anyone found an equivalent amount of dirt/dust/sand inside any tire they have unmounted?

Why are they not in the front tires?

Has anyone checked a zero-mile unit on the floor? I may run by my dealer and check. I bet they are present. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have changed several quad and car tires in my day and I can tell you that they are NOT balancing beads. Most quad tires are not balanced in any way after installation due to lower speeds and off road use. Balancing a tire is done to minimize vibration on SMOOTH surfaces, not dirt! Being that they are in car tires too, I would say this rules out the dirt getting in there from sliding. Phuzz is also right about the pressure thing. Air would get out of the tire before dirt gets in!

So the most realistic answer would be that it is a combination of bead sealer, release agents from manufacturing, and/or any other small particles that are in the tire when it is mounted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts