Raptor Forum banner

Wich quad raptor 350 honda 400 z400 or 300ex?

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont kno wat 2 get. i am selling my 250 bear tracker (utility) and i can easily handle my friends 250ex and easily handle my dads grizzly 660. My friend told me the raptors flip easily but im not sure i belive him. im looking for something that hill climbs rgood with good speed, help!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think that I would also place the Suzuki Z400 in that list as well. I think in '06 they added piggyback shocks all 'round. I was set on getting one 'til I saw the new Raptors...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Yea out of the 400's i would go whit a Z400...but you can put another $1000 whit that in just get a YFZ450...how much are you lookin to spend...but out of the 400ex,300ex,and raptor350 i would go whit the raptor.. if u can handle a grizzly 660 the you could handle a raptor 660 same motor just diff.transmission's..raptor 660 flip easy because there top heavy but a set of long treavl a-arm's well fix that... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
841 Posts
400Ex is a nice quad, good power and great on trails...my cousin rides one and even thought I kill it on my 700 he said he would ride nothing different.....also check out the new Kawi 450R, pretty much ready to race out the box w/reverse :thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
yeah i heard the rappy's are tippy, i personnally havn't felt that way, just gotta take it a little easier around the corners, or sit on the pegs around the corners haha :lol:.

i would deffinatly stay away from that 300, that isn't worth the money to spend on an upgrade. i'm assuming you have some mods to your 250... and it probably performs damn near that 300 as it is...

if i were you, i'd go with the 400ex(out of the 3 you listed). if i were going to upgrade machines i might feel that the power of the 350 might be a little less then what i want. the only thing is that i hear the front is light on the 400, anyone know what i'm talking about?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes the front ends on 400exs are way light. Makes for a great wheelie machine, but a horrible hill climbing maching. When I say hill climb, I mean real hill climbs. Not the little girly hills the average rider will go up. My buddy has a new 400ex and has rolled it a few times on some big hills. If the hill is steep enough, and you have to keep into the throttle to climb, it's going to start to float. Like I said though, the average rider on most hills will be ok. If you're into huge, nasty hills, the 400 is an accident waiting to happen. That's my .02.

·
Registered
554 Posts
When people refer to the Rappy being tippy they are refering to the 660. It is well known and not argued too much that it is on the tippy side. You do not have to worry about it on the 350 though. You even have to work at it to get the 350 to bicycle well.

I think some of the questions to ask are:
How old are you?
How much do you weigh?
Who is paying for the quad?
To suggest a 450 bike without knowing some of these questions may be a little irresponsible.

If money might be a little tight I would go with the Raptor 350. The Raptor 350 can be bought for quite a bit less than the 400's. Because you will want to buy a pipe/filter setup right away. Even if you do not think you want a pipe now, you will. :grin_nod:

If money is not an issue, I would skip the Honda 400ex and go for the Suzuki Z400. You get a lot more bike for the same price. In fact my local dealership is closing out the 2006 Z400 for less than the 400ex.

Have fun with your decision. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
One more thing to add. Everyone seems to think the 350 is way underpowered. Add a pipe/jet/open airbox and watch the thing rip. I race local hare scrambles with mine. I can take the z400's, 400exs, etc on the holeshot no problem. Last race it was REALLY muddy. I only had one person in front of me (on a yfz450) but he threw up so much mud I couldn't see at all. I could ditch my goggles but I need to wear my glasses, so it was impossible for me to see. I pulled out after one lap and another guy who races a Z400 and broke a tie rod asked if he could finish on mine. I swear on my kids life he turned in MUCH better times on my Raptor350 than he did on his Z400. He ended up not finishing either because of the same issue with glasses....lol. He actually lost his in the woods trying to clean them off while riding. He couldn't believe how quick my bike was though. Actually, the yfz that got me on the holeshot was only about half a bike length ahead of me heading into the trails. A little bit of work will really wake up the old low tech motor. You can make it faster, handle way better, climb huge hills, but remember it will never be a good jumping machine.....lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
ilikesportquads said:
THNK U ALL, BUT IVE MADE MY DECISION, LOOKS LIKE IM GONNA GET THE Z400.

thnx for all the help.

~chris
That'd be my choice as well, especially if I were buying new. Now if you go used, you can find some 400ex's very cheap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts