1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
786 Posts
I dont know about the performance part of these, but all those pieces made out of 1/4 plate is going to be heavy as hell. From what I can tell there is about $15 worth of plate steel there and a couple turnbuckles for the tierods wich could be bought for less than $5 probly. And the the powder coating shouldnt cost much. No
way I would spend $200 on that. ::) Just my opinion and sometimes my opinion sucks ;)

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
That doesn't look too sturdy. Don't get me wrong, it looks pimp as shit, but if you're out jumping on that kit, I would be a little concerned.

I would spend another $150-200 and go with the A-Arms.

Just my two cents, and that ain't worth sh*t.

~Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Any physicists around?

Seems to me widening the quad from the center, instead of the outside with longer a-arms, would be more logical/practical?
With longer/stronger/heavier a-arms you're adding unsprung weight as well...

There must be a reason why everyone goes the much more expensive a-arm/shock route.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
While it will probably improve the stability. I don't see it improving suspension geometry over stock. The improvement in suspension geometry is greatly improved with long travel a-arms and shocks.

Just my .02

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seeing as how the only thing that truely changes with this kit is the mounting locations of both the arms and the shocks. I don't belive that the suspenion will change at all. the only thing that i would expect this kit to do is give you a wider stance, and a more stable ride. what i would be worried about is the amount of metal(or rather the lack of) around the first mounting holes for the a-arms(4.5" position). seems like there shound be more metal at that transition from bracket to mounting arm.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
i baught a set of these form dimond j coustoms for my blaster, i was actually supprised with the result. it was solid as hell in the turns and it held up well over fairly big jumps, dont think id put one on the rappy though. the blaster is super light..

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Has anyone run a set on a Rappy yet? Seems like a simple concept and I haven't heard anyone yet who actually tried them and had a bad experience. They claim that the warranty covers racing and everything else.......... :3question:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I heard that kit is heavy as hell. I would not get it and for not much more (its $225 and for $350-400) you can get the real deal so if I were you I'd save up the extra $150 or so and get the real +2 arms. Something like the asr's or full flights are good and still affordable.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
They're actually selling on Ebay for $195.00 and there can't be much more than 4-5 lbs of steel there (if that). I'm looking for someone who actually has them on their bike. :help:

·
Registered
965 Posts
I wouldnt go near them things. There is a reason that the frame is so narrow where the A-arms mount. It's for handling. This is why the 250R's were (and possibly still are) the best handling quads around.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'd still like to hear from someone who's actually used them and get their input....... Might be worth is to fab a set just to try them out. Won't cost more than $25.00 with the steering extensions. I'll let you know in a week or 2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got these things on my rappy 700 and my wife's rappy 350, and they're tough as hell, they dont take away from the stock mounting integrity, and honestly i think they look better then the arm kits that do the same thing for 200$ more, for 300 bucks you can widen the whole quad, my good friend spent nearly 900 to do it with name brand stuff, bang for the buck, its worth every penny.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I like the kit, I was thinking about making one to try it my self.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
It's possible that they work, it's even possible that they're strong.

However, it's going to make other points of the front suspension weaker so that brush with a tree that wouldn't harm a bike with stock or aftermarket a-arms might do some damage to this setup. The kit appears to be made of steel, as would most home replicas of it, meaning you're going to see and feel the effects of the extra weight. You're also going to have some geometry issues (handling and bump steer).

I've seen used aftermarket a-arms for 250-350 bucks, new for 450 or so. Personally I'd never buy the kit even if I didn't mind the drawbacks. If you want to build your own it's your perogative, just be sure to take it easy and share the results with those looking to do it themselves.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Either way you're adding weight to the front end and I don't see how strength will be an issue. I've bent my stock a-arms "leisure riding" so longer arms (to me) would just me more likely to bend. I guess the only way to know is to actually try them and I've yet to hear anyone who's tried them say anything negative about them. I'll keep an open mind and let y'all know what happens.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
Either way you're adding weight to the front end and I don't see how strength will be an issue. I've bent my stock a-arms "leisure riding" so longer arms (to me) would just me more likely to bend. I guess the only way to know is to actually try them and I've yet to hear anyone who's tried them say anything negative about them. I'll keep an open mind and let y'all know what happens.
It's not that no one who's used them has anything bad to say, it's that none of us have been "daring" enough to purchase them. I personally feel that they're not worth trying on spec, but if I were offered the opinion of someone who had owned them or the chance to ride one (very slowly and not off any jumps) I'd welcome the new input.

Strength is always an issue, make one section stronger (the brackets) and you'll expose a weaker section (joints, arms, tie rod ends, etc). Longer a-arms are LESS likely to bend than stock arms because they are made of higher quality materials. They're usually not much heavier if at all than the stock arms (unless you get steel) and even then I'd imagine it'd be lighter than adding the brackets seen in that ebay auction.

If you've bent stock a-arms "leisure riding" then I highly suggest you step up in quality and IMO this kit is not a step up. As I said before in my last post it's ultimately the choice of the rider but the cost is rather high and a home-made set would be preferable to spending 200 on 20 worth of material but it's not going to change the physics.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'll let you know how they work out. :)

1 - 20 of 167 Posts