Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok time for the raptor rebuild mine is the 2001(I will have the 02 newer tranny at rebuild time!). I am looking mainly for midrange throttle response and since I will be replacing the crank I am thinking a small bigbore kit,I like jumping road approaches and ditch riding and still do trail riding. So any recommendations would be great and alot of the stroker kits I have seen don't mention if they have any overbores available when(down the road) I want to freshen it up.....Thanx guys....its great to be back on this site again:beer:

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
The Barker cranks will accept any shelf piston. If you're looking to run stock bore for now, and maybe get a larger piston down the road, that's the route I would take if I was looking to stroke

The HR stroker crank will only accept a few specialized stroker pistons due to a 2mil offset wristpin

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Barker cranks will accept any shelf piston. If you're looking to run stock bore for now, and maybe get a larger piston down the road, that's the route I would take if I was looking to stroke

The HR stroker crank will only accept a few specialized stroker pistons due to a 2mil offset wristpin
Thanx or maybe I should just do the crank tranny piston and spend more on the head(porting,cam,valves) and run a stock stroke crank.....but the stroker kits are so cheap....don't wanna wish I did it the first time(still gonna,do the head though)......so most of the strokers don't have overbores available?...I wan't this to be reliable...but everything needs rebuilds sooner or later...oh yes it will get the sparks/pro design/jetting....I have listen to you guys....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx or maybe I should just do the crank tranny piston and spend more on the head(porting,cam,valves) and run a stock stroke crank.....but the stroker kits are so cheap....don't wanna wish I did it the first time(still gonna,do the head though)......so most of the strokers don't have overbores available?...I wan't this to be reliable...but everything needs rebuilds sooner or later...oh yes it will get the sparks/pro design/jetting....I have listen to you guys....
I just looked at the barker crank...$479...COOOOL!...that will be the route...now a good gas friendly piston and someone to do a quality job on the head.....everyone says trinity sucks??....was thinkin fourstroke tech for my headwork???

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
The HR only accepts their pistons.

If you're looking seriously at doing the Barker crank, take a look at the prices from Vito's Performance, last I saw they were competitive. Good chance a forum sponsor might hook you up with a good price too- I'd check with KB and TQS.

I don't know about 4stroke tech. Not saying they're bad- just haven't heard about them much.

Kenz, Racer's Edge, Sparks, Templeton, someone who knows a Rappy head would be best IMO. I'm sure there are others, those are just a few I know about.

Remember though that head can get expensive real fast, and ideally you'll want it ported to maximize the potential of your modifications, so IMO I would do just about every other mod you're planning (engine wise) first. Otherwise you're either going to end up with a head that's overported for your build until you get everything, or a head that's not ported enough for your mods once you do have them. Either that or you can pay to have it done more than once.

Supporting mods are gonna get ya too, consider them. Bigger valves, bigger cam, heavier valve springs, FCR Carbs, good intake and pipe(s). Then it might be time to look for a longer swinger... :lol: Never ends :banghead:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The HR only accepts their pistons.

If you're looking seriously at doing the Barker crank, take a look at the prices from Vito's Performance, last I saw they were competitive. Good chance a forum sponsor might hook you up with a good price too- I'd check with KB and TQS.

I don't know about 4stroke tech. Not saying they're bad- just haven't heard about them much.

Kenz, Racer's Edge, Sparks, Templeton, someone who knows a Rappy head would be best IMO. I'm sure there are others, those are just a few I know about.

Remember though that head can get expensive real fast, and ideally you'll want it ported to maximize the potential of your modifications, so IMO I would do just about every other mod you're planning (engine wise) first. Otherwise you're either going to end up with a head that's overported for your build until you get everything, or a head that's not ported enough for your mods once you do have them. Either that or you can pay to have it done more than once.

Supporting mods are gonna get ya too, consider them. Bigger valves, bigger cam, heavier valve springs, FCR Carbs, good intake and pipe(s). Then it might be time to look for a longer swinger... :lol: Never ends :banghead:
Thanx alot I appreciate the suggestions I will use one of them for my mods just lookin for a solid,reliable,and resposive say 55ish horse motor for playing around on. I am willing to spend 1500 or maybe 2000 if I can just send them the motor....that way I can work on suspension parts,cosmetics,etc. while the motor is getting done....it was 40 below here last week but spring is coming and I want to be ready.......

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I had a barker 4 mil, x4 cam, and a 12.5:1 CP piston and I calculated that it would run on 91-92 pump gas. I always ran 93 octane in it though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts