Raptor Forum banner

will only push start and runs rough

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  QuadManiac 
G
#1 ·
Have a 05 660 that when I turn key on I get nothing. When I try to jump still nothing, no lights, will not crank. The only way it runs if it is push started and the it runs rough, big hesitation, sputters but seems to run "better" at higher RPM's. Noticed from time to time the engine comes on when its running but does not stay on. Battery is 6 months old and connection are clean and solid.

G
#3 ·
more on original post. Quad has aftermarket exhaust, air box mod, jetted and the reverse limiter green/white ground, still has PB wire intact. Left camp at 4000' went to 8000' all was good going up but noticed sputtering etc. thought it was normal because the jetting I have is for lower elevation and the other carbed machines were acting the same way. On the way down did not get better, still ran rough, but started each time. Got back to camp had lunch, went to start and nothing no lights etc. hooked jumper cables and same nothing. Bumped started but ran like at 8000', sputter hesitation sometimes run good for couple seconds. Engine light would come on and off for 2 seconds never stay on. Each time I turned off would have to bump start. Would idle ok, a little rough sputter ect. while giving throttle and get "better" at higher rpm range. Have ridden there one time before and thought the jetting was off but nothing this bad.

#4 ·
I agree, trickle/float charge for a few days more if possible. Adjust your valves, and check your main fuse for dirty/corroded connections.

#5 ·
Noticed from time to time the engine comes on when its running but does not stay on.
What does this mean?

The starter comes on when the engine is running?

#6 ·
Fuse should have nothing to do with running once it's started.

Gonna guess the charging system has died. Get it running then measure battery voltage while well above idle.

If it's not at least 13.5 VDC either the stator, rec/reg or wiring between has an issue... or your battery has a multi cell short (not as likely).

#8 · (Edited)
Fuse should have nothing to do with running once it's started.
I agree, trickle/float charge for a few days more if possible. Adjust your valves, and check your main fuse for dirty/corroded connections.

My idea on the fuse being corroded or even loose could cause intermittent power when riding . It's a easy check, and eliminate it as a problem

I think we are all in a agreement that it's a battery/power problem. As said, charge your battery and use your meter to test it and your stator/ regulator charging system.

#10 ·
I have delt with burnt up charging coils in a stator. You have a nice charged up battery everything is nice. Then as the day goes on depending on how much you start it, it keeps cranking slower and slower until it wont start on its own. You can still pull start it cause there is enough voltage to run the ignition system but it eventually wouldn't start on its own. The headlights gradually dimmed as the night went on.

Got the raptor home and did the test quadman described. Voltage was well below 13 volts while reving. Tooke the stator cover off to find burn up charging coils.

#12 ·
You're lucky, a wire is cheaper than a stator. Thanks for the update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.