Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used raptor....it needs some work.
Heres the bike history :
04, 660
Stock exhaust
Previous owner said he *thought* the bike has a "jet kit", but doesnt know size of jets, etc
Bike is smoking with any amount of throttle (white smoke)
Bike sputters in reverse

i started to pull the carbs and follow the instructions from the jetting sticky, but i got to the point where i was gonna remove the throttle cable, and realized that the little metal arm that extends out from the throttle assembly attached to the carb, is bent. It looks like someone got ahold of it with vicegrips and tried to remove it, and bent it up good. The throttle cable end will not pass through it. I monkey'd with it for a while and now my throttle cable is seemingly kinked b/c its no longer smoothly operating.

I plan on buying a new cable (suggestions on where to buy?) AND i was wondering if this part (pictured between the arrows in the pic below) would come off, or if i'd have to cut the old cable out, then somehow dremel or try to straighten the said bent piece.
Also, since i dont know what jets are there, how would i go about re-jetting the bike.....buy a new kit ? seems kinda a waste for stock exhaust/intake....Did i mention im trying to be cost effective here?

suggestions?

thanks,
jerry

·
Registered
735 Posts
I didnt remove my cable, just turn it upside down and remove the bowls. As for calbes, the dealer of any parts catalog will have em. I dont think they are too expensive either.

White smoke..yuk! White usally means water. Black puff for fuel and black smoke for oil. Head gasket?

reverse sputter is the limiter...normal for stock can be over-ridden search on this forum for that topic.

Stock jets are 140/145 I think, If you are cheap and dont wany a kit, just buy a 150 155 and play with diff combos like 140/145, 145/150, or 150/155. search for jetting on the forum...pleanty of info out there. I wouldnt go too extreme right off the bat, a slip on and air lid removed should only need 5-10 sizes higher ie 150/155.

good luck

·
Registered
827 Posts
remove the triangular plate located just to the right of the arrows (three 4mm bolts with phillips heads). after that is removed you will see a brass circle... thats connects the throttle cable to the butterflies. that piece will come off and the throttle cable should be loose. with an 8mm wrench loosen up the fastener which you have thew arrows pointing too and slide the throttle cable out. do the same but in reverse (not the gear) to put it back together. have done it a dozen times trying differient combos to tune my carbs. becomes real easy afte the first time or two. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after not really getting the answers i needed, i got rough with the part im talking about and got it off.
Now im curious as to where i can buy a replacement as the one i took off is bent up ( the reason the cable wouldnt come out/function properly to start with)

I have a new motion pro cable on order, and now i need this arm piece so i can have the rappy back together for the weekend.

any ideas?

-jerry

·
Registered
86 Posts
They have OEM parts at bikebandit.com with exploded diagrams. You might be able to find what you need there :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Your local dealer will likely be the only ones that have the part. As to whether or not you can buy it alone, you would have to check a parts fiche. Sandwizards.com has one in their Tips & Tricks section, under manuals (the last one on the bottom, called parts list).

Options, granted you couldn't get from your dealer, straighten and correct your piece or try to find the piece or used carbs off e-bay or classifieds. The piece should be slightly bent from the factory, I think.

Bottom line - if you can't find a cheap replacement and plan to build a high hp machine look into 39 FCRs. That way you aren't replacing carbs twice.

White smoke is usually water slipping past the piston rings. If you have to replace, look into a Wiseco piston (possibly upgrade).

With stock exhaust you shouldn't need a jet kit. Stock jet sizes are 140/145. Unless you added an aftermarket exhaust, air filter, or modded the airbox lid, you should only need a 140/145 or lower (in high elevation). Be sure you stagger the jet sizes. They are read Left/Right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts