Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some free time and needed to get this done before the snow melts, so I started my Winter teardown on the Rappy.:)

Started with the removal of the swinger and all the prep work to get it ready for some gloss black PC to match my a arms.

Hammered out the bushings and bearings and gave it a good cleaning in the parts washer.

Threw it in the blast cabinet and prepped it for the new PC.I masked off all of the machined surfaces with duct tape to protect them from the blast media.

Next up is the new CP 11:1 piston, HC3, FCI with box and a +3 TB.
The USPS seems to have lost my +3 TB somewhere, so I have been staring at my other parts for over a month waiting for it to arrive.:(

The swinger is off to the PC'er on Monday, so I'll update when it comes back.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Looking good! I'm working on our problem, going back to the post office on monday.... I need to find a PC shop around me, I want my swinger and a arms red ;)

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's plenty of oil stains unfortunately, but that pic is in front of the door where no vehicles are parked.:( I usually try to put some cardboard under the vehicles that come in here, but some of them end up having leaky diffs and some are dripping oil based undercoating all over the place.

You don't need to worry about the oil spray down in Fla Chris, but up here everyone sprays the undercarriage's of their vehicles to try and keep the salt from eating away at them.:)

·
Modding Maniac
3,052 Posts
Gonna look good CHIM. When I get settled in after my move I want to tear mine down and have the frame PC and a little extra installs like I see on your table. :D

Post some pics when she is done.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Fam Guy.

The parts are at the PC'er now, but I decided my cam cover needed to be black too, so I added it to the parts pile.:)

My friend purchased a used Pro Armour V-Series grab bar from someone here and it was bent up pretty bad from an over aggressive wheelie, so I had to straighten it in my press and blast it for him before adding it to the pile.

As you can see in the pic, I decided to mask off all of the machined surfaces to leave them raw to add a little contrast rather than having the swinger entirely black.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Can't tell for sure but if you used regular masking tape. It won't work. Needs to be a high temp tape to withstand the 400*. Most of the high temp tapes I use are either green or whitish.
My apologies if you already knew.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, I know about the tape, as does the PC'er. It will be removed before it enters the oven. If I end up with any bleeding of the powder, I can just sand it off. The PC'er will also install the silicone plugs in any of the threads for me.

He has done quite few items for me in the past and if I give it to him blasted and masked off, all he has to do is hang and spray, which saves me some $$$. It will probably only cost me $40-$45 to have all these pieces done.:)

I decided to do a trial fit of the FCI and found out I am missing the small hose that goes from the intake tube to the TB, so I will need to source one. I also installed my used, but freshly PC'ed Pro Armour V-Series grab bar.

Now I'm in the process of fabbing some new mounts for my license plate bracket, since the new grab bar does not have the tabs on it like the stocker.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Cool. I hate to type stuff and people think I'm being condescending because they already know but if it saves 1 person from doing something and screwing it up... well you know. It sure does save a bunch of time/money when the parts are already prepped. Hell, "painting" (coating) is the easy part.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I managed to fab up the plate mounts yesterday and they turned out pretty good for an auto detailer and not a fab guy.:D

I started by making some cardboard templates and my buddy found me a nice piece of scrap metal, so I pulled out the plasma and did a rough cutout first.
The holes were drilled first then I bolted the two brackets together and went to the bench grinder to shape them to the pattern. After that the larger center hole was drilled through both pieces(just for looks and a little lightening) and then all the rust and scale was ground off. Next was to bend them in the vise, as the plate bracket is quite a bit narrower than the grab bar mounts. Once both brackets had the same shape, I tack welded a nut on the backside of the lower hole, which will bolt the existing plate bracket on.

My plan was to have them chromed to match my existing plate bracket, but my friend's Dad who does the chroming broke his femur and the shop is closed down. :( My other choice was to PC them gloss black, so I blasted them and will send them to the PC'er.

The original pate location on the grab bar made it a real PITA to access the seat latch, as you had to reach under the plate, but the new location makes it effortless now.:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice work man, I can't wait to tear down my rappy next year... I'm still thinking about the colours tho... I have a 06 Blue 700 raptor. Maybe it'll be like you, I really like your colours man... Keep us up to date!

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys, the parts are finally back and ready to be installed.... if I can only find the time to do it.:( I have 8 vehicles lined up for full bumper to bumper details, so I'm a busy guy.:wow:

I also picked up a blue TM chain slide n glide and a black undertail plastic piece to match my blue/black theme.

I will need to make some time soon to install these, as I need to get the machine back into a roller so I can start on the engine work.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We bought both of them used in the for sale section here and just had them freshened up with some new gloss black PC, so they look like new.

I paid $40 for mine and I'm not sure how much my firend paid for his.

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a pic of the Pro Armour grab bar I had PC'ed for my friends 660. We also installed the used Dura Blue axle he bought from a member here.:)

·
VIP
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had some free time while the paint sealant is curing on the car I'm detailing, so the Rappy is back to a roller again!!:)

I just need to install the swingarm skid, but I need to tweak it a little in the press to straighten out the disc side where it was bent up by a rock.

Have some good news about my +3 TB that has been sitting on a shelf in a USPS warehouse in OK City for the past three months too. Someone finally noticed it and sent it back to 03Rappy, so he has sent it back to me. I should hopefully have it early next week and can start with the engine work. YAY!!:clap:

Swinger with new TM Slider, pivot bearings and seals and new carrier bearings and seals.

New black undertail and my custom plate brackets installed with the fresh PC.

Ready to roll.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
Blue slider & black swingarm look great together. I can see you pay great attention to detail. lookin good. 8)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts