Raptor Forum banner

Winterize 101

10K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  2fun 
#1 ·
Overnight temperatures have been in the upper-30s this week - probably time for me to start thinking about winterizing. This will be my first winter as a quad owner. What do I need to do?
They will be kept in an unheated-but-wind/rain-proof garage.

#5 ·
I plan on starting my 700 and Kodiak at least once a week and running them around for 15 20 minutes before I put them away again. As long as you're able to run them for a bit I dont think you'll have any problems. I've been doing this for years with my quads, dirtbikes, carts ect. I never had any issues. I do like the stabil stuff though, I use that in all my premix and straight gas for my weedwackers and lawn mowers.

#7 ·
... so basically do the same as I would with any other vehicle. Got it.
Stupid question: I can use the same brands of antifreeze and fuel stabilizer as I would for a car, right?

#11 ·
Riding in snow is not a concern; the engine would be warm then. :thumbsup:

I'm concerned about nights like tonight - unseasonably cold weather: mid 20's. It doesn't usually get that low until December or January. I wasn't expecting it so haven't prepared. Now that it's temporarily here I want to know what needs to be done.

#18 ·
1badrap said:
I agree! Keep riding! but if you can't stable in the tank and a battery tender.I would jack up the back of the bike and let it warm up good while in gear to keep your seals from drying out.
The seals will dry out if the quad sits for a month or so?

#20 ·
Winter was the whole reason I bought the 700 -vs- a new dirt bike, up here in MN we've been gett'nthe cold but not the snow the last few years so the snowmobiling has been kinda grimm. I studded the stock tires, 300 across the front and 750 across the rear. Studded tires on ice are a lot of fun! Don't forget the heat ranges for the oil you use, the colder the thinner. Also don't forget to lube the chain, the snow and water will cause it to rust if you don't.

#21 ·
Back when I was deploying for six months out of the year, I would put my 660 in storage with a fuel tank of gas and fuel stablizer, nothing else. Both times after returning from deployment, it started right up on the front hit of the starter. If you're worried, just start your quad once a week and let it run for a few minutes. Don't forget to plug your pipe. You can buy one for $4. 8)

#23 ·
LNS said:
I want to go snow riding.. but its -1 outside.. negative temps + hauling arse on an atv... inno.. sounds too cold :D
just dress for the weather and you'll be ok, i've went on rides on my sled at -40 and felt just fine, of course sleds have heated hands/thumbs and a little more wind protection, but you could add those to your quad no problem, i can't wait to get to MN, i'm going to ride the piss out of it this winter, get me some chains and different tires for the back, i wanted to keep tires on the rear,and get those skis they use on the track systems for up front, i think that would push me along pretty good and not loose all that top end to the tracks.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.