Raptor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Open your fuel screws or up your pilot jets to supplant needing choke.

What are your mods (to exhaust and airbox)"

What are your main jets, your needles (5 notches or 6) and what notch are they on (counted from the blunt end), what pilot jets and how many turns out on your fuel screws?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Open your fuel screws or up your pilot jets to supplant needing choke.

What are your mods (to exhaust and airbox)"

What are your main jets, your needles (5 notches or 6) and what notch are they on (counted from the blunt end), what pilot jets and how many turns out on your fuel screws?
It has a GYTR exhaust and a K&N cone-ish filter in the airbox, still with the lid on.

After putting in a new plug, it's running way lean. I have it turned out 3.5 turns on the high side (right), and 3.25 turns on the low side (left). The top end feels good but the low end needs more fuel, so I'll adjust and let you know. Haven't messed with the needles yet and didn't take notice when I cleaned the carb. Put a rebuild kit in and none of the jets were labeled, so I assumed they were stock size.

Definitely going to grab some externally adjustable fuel screws. I have no way to turn them with the carb in (tried every tool I have... twice haha) and pulling it is just becoming insane. I'm going to wear shit out just from the repetitive tear down/put together process.

So far so good, I think for now... just fine tuning. I do have a high idle/lunging issue, but I don't think it is carb related. 1st gear, no throttle, sometimes it'll rev up and then grab. I think it's the clutch slipping off load and then grabbing again. Throttle cable isn't sticking, so that's my best guess.

Reverse light flashes every time I test ride it, but I'm beginning to think it's a "lean" running warning maybe? Couldn't be anything to do with my wiring, right? I'm guessing not, but figure it's worth the asking.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
Reverse light flashes if the speed sensor is not connected or working properly - it's on right, rear of case.

Rebuild kit jets are famous for being incorrect size, even if marked the same. IMO clean the originals and put them in.

The GYTR exhaust is going to require at least 1 size larger than stock main jets (add 5 to each or 145 left 150 right)

The fuel screws primarily affect idle to 1/4 throttle. If you are backfiring on decel or have slow return to idle, then the screws are set too lean (or pilot jets too small if you run out of screw adjustment). You are near the limit on opening up the screws - 3.5 is about it. Put them both at between 3.5 to 3.75 (the absolute limit) and see if it helps. Any more and you'll need 25 pilot jets.

You've come a long way! Congratulations.

Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Reverse light flashes if the speed sensor is not connected or working properly - it's on right, rear of case.

Rebuild kit jets are famous for being incorrect size, even if marked the same. IMO clean the originals and put them in.

The GYTR exhaust is going to require at least 1 size larger than stock main jets (add 5 to each or 145 left 150 right)

The fuel screws primarily affect idle to 1/4 throttle. If you are backfiring on decel or have slow return to idle, then the screws are set too lean (or pilot jets too small if you run out of screw adjustment). You are near the limit on opening up the screws - 3.5 is about it. Put them both at between 3.5 to 3.75 (the absolute limit) and see if it helps. Any more and you'll need 25 pilot jets.

You've come a long way! Congratulations.
I appreciate it. This site and it's members have been a valuable asset in any success I've made. Thanks to you and the others, I may get this thing in order.

I looked for the speed sensor, but didn't find it, unless it's the thing that has the rubber cap on it at the back of the trans with a spring that holds it into the frame? Would that cause any issues other than a flashing reverse light? Only reason I ask is because I ran it down the road (pretty fast in 5th) and then turned around. Hit 5th again, the quad lost power and I had to gimp it back to the house in 3rd before it started to pick power up again. Do I need a new sensor or is there a way to bypass?

Dynojet Q414 (stage 2) any good? I have it set to 3.5 and 3.75... still backfiring on decel.

·
Master of the Electron
15,025 Posts
When working it retards timing to slow you at ~75MPH... when not working, as far as I know, it just flashes the reverse light to be annoying.

RE the backfiring - have you upped to 25 pilot jets?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts