Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my new trailtech hid's installed, i have 4 in total 2 on the frame replacing the stock lights and 2 on the handlebars for added illumination ... the ones on the frame work fine but when they tried to splice in the handlebar lights all four would not work but no fuse popped. so they tried to hook them up so that on low the frames would light and on high the bars would light, that did not work either ... are they drawing too much power? can i just hook the bar lights up directly from the battery with a fuse and switch in between? right now the frames work fine and the bars are not hooked up, ideally i would want the switch and fuse straight from the battery for the bar lights but i dont know if that would work ... please help!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
You could go from the battery to a toggle switch on the lights with a fuse next to the battery, It would be better on the switch if you ran it thru a relay first. The relay would take all of the load off of the switch.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ill try that ... im just wondering if the 12v system can handle 4 of these high powered lights? or if it was the stock switch that was crapping out before when they tried to hook up all 4 to the stock harness and switch ... thanks for the reply

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any electro gods out there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is the wattage of the lights, if you know this you can work out how much current they will require. I can't remember what the stock stator is good for but i could have a look.

The problem about all of them not working doesn't sound like it has anything todo with how much current you bike can supply though, it sounds like a blown fuse which you said you checked, a wire unplugged, or the switch not working. If the stator couldn't supply enough current the lights would turn on and slow get dimmmer as the stator failed to keep up with the demand.

If the bike can run all 4 lights at once i'd use a relay, pin 30 to the battery with a fuse. Pin 87 to the lights, Pin 86 to the light switch and pin 85 to earth.

I'll check back here in a couple of days to see how you went.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks a lot for the reply ... i will try that for sure but unfortunately i just crashed my quad and bent the frame and a lot of other damage up the right side so now my priorities have changed ... god damned stand up wheelies lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
You are overloading your relays if you are trying to go through the stock switch. They are designed to only handle the stock lights. You could add a few relays and use your stock switch or just wire them direct to the battery. If you want to add some relays, still run a fused wire directly from the ignition/acc wire (battery direct if you want) to each relay and then one from the leadlight switch both high and low to the respective relay/s. This should take care of the problem. I would only run 1 set of lights per relay. The must have separate ballasts as well to use as high/low functionally.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think your problem is that the stock wiring harness cannot supply enough power to light 4 hids. I have 2 hooked up to my stock highbeam wires and they work fine since they only draw a little more than the stock lights.

And from what I have read, running 4 of them at once will slowly drain your battery, might be fine for short rides but not for long ones.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey postman the lights are 13 watt ... Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So norcal do you think I should use an alternate power source?... If so what would be a good idea bc I really want all 4 to run at the same time ... Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts