Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built a 02 basket case tranny up. Starts and idles fine but spits sputters backfires when throttle applied. Stock except for k&n filter and fmf silencer.Carbs completly dissasembled -cleaned and rebuilt with kits
Already tried the following with no change:
unplugged PB sensor behind headlight
grounded reverse rev limiter wire
double checked carbs
double checked valve clearance
swapped cdi unit with anouther

Any help would be appreciated before my hairs gone :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
good luck bro I'm having the same problem with my 700, screw you coil wire in were it connects to the plug they get loose sometimes, also check the plug make sure it aint fouled out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This things got me-I build racing watercraft motors all day and cant seem to figure this out. Having a heck of a time determining if its fuel or electrical. Ill check the plug wire tomorrow-happens a lot on skis should have checked it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I about give up on mine I'm lost with it mine backfires pops and fouls plugs in about 5 mins flat

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's the reverse rev limiter. I believe it's the white and green wire on the cdi box. Double check before you cut it. Trace the wire about a foot from the box and cut it. Strip it and ground it out on the negative terminal on the battery. Problem solved

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
since the reverse limiter is already grounded it must be the parking brake limiter which is found behind your left headlight. refer to the sticky for details on how to fix it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you tried swapping the power commander out?
Yeah I've changed it out with a alba controller, If the reverse limiter was on it wouldent rev up at all, I can rev wide open and run perfect for about 30 mins with a new plug after 30 mins it fouls the plug out and for some reason drinks the gas now

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you figure it out kore please let me know, I can't figure mine out, I'm about to sale it and move on......

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
doesnt the 700's have code readouts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought i had it a couple hours ago. had rev limiter grounded at cases. checked with test light between end of wire grounded and connector at cdi box-nothing. started working my way both ways with test light-wiring harness has to have a break in it somewhere. Finally grounded straight off plug in at cdi and same thing. Im going to get a wiring harness in this thing before i chase it forever. Its been drug-burnt you name it-i fixed several breaks in it and damage must go further foreward. I think i need to jet this thing too-so im going to move foreward with that. On yours-sounds like it could be a leaking injector if the cdi is good.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
you grounded the parking brake sensor? all you have to do with that is unplug it..

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Built a 02 basket case tranny up. Starts and idles fine but spits sputters backfires when throttle applied. Stock except for k&n filter and fmf silencer.Carbs completely disassembled -cleaned and rebuilt with kits
Already tried the following with no change:
unplugged PB sensor behind headlight
grounded reverse rev limiter wire
double checked carbs
double checked valve clearance
swapped cdi unit with another

Any help would be appreciated before my hairs gone :(

The green and white wire must be grounded properly to stop the reverse rev limiter from turning on...........
The green and yellow wire must be disconnected to prevent the park brake rev limiter from turning on, this is what I think the problem may be, so go to the CDI and find the green and yellow wire, and cut it off in close proximity to the CDI, this will get rid of any possible chance that the green and yellow wire is grounded some where since it goes through the harness towards the front of the bike..............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
green and yellow is cut at the cdi box
green and white is grounded to battery. WHen its first started i can kind of feather the throttle and get it to rev a little then its all popping and backfiring through both the carbs and exhaust. Its jetted stock 140 and 145 22.5 pilots. has k&n and fmf silencer with all the packing removed-could jetting be this big of an issue?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
green and yellow is cut at the cdi box
green and white is grounded to battery. WHen its first started i can kind of feather the throttle and get it to rev a little then its all popping and backfiring through both the carbs and exhaust. Its jetted stock 140 and 145 22.5 pilots. has k&n and fmf silencer with all the packing removed-could jetting be this big of an issue?
Yes it can, you need #25 pilots......
What mods are done to the air box and is the snorkel still attached to the air box lid..............

·
Registered
173 Posts
since the reverse limiter is already grounded it must be the parking brake limiter which is found behind your left headlight. refer to the sticky for details on how to fix it.

Doesn't mean that this still isn't the problem. I was having the same issues as the original poster and this mod fixed my issue. Just because the wire is already ground, doesn't mean that there isn't a tear or a crimp somewhere in the wire. FYI

1 - 20 of 27 Posts