Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My bike has been sitting for a couple months. Tried to start it last week ( im in canada and it's cold) and it would not start. Not only would it not start but it would barely turn. The battery is new from last summer and I leave a trickle charge on the bike during winter.

Now before having this problem the bike would start up in a weird way. With my old battery and new battery same thing. It would turn once then have a hard time turning again. it's been like that for a while but it would eventually start.

I have charged the battery, tried to boost the bike but I'm still getting the same problem it's having a hard time turning over.

If the choke is off and no gas is applied the engine will turn but not start. If I have the choke on or apply some gas the engine will not even turn even if i'm boosting the bike.

I am not sure what is going on. why the engine would turn with no gas but not turn when gas or choke is applied. I hope to get an answer I'd like to go for a ride !!

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Hey guys,

My bike has been sitting for a couple months. Tried to start it last week ( im in canada and it's cold) and it would not start. Not only would it not start but it would barely turn. The battery is new from last summer and I leave a trickle charge on the bike during winter.

Now before having this problem the bike would start up in a weird way. With my old battery and new battery same thing. It would turn once then have a hard time turning again. it's been like that for a while but it would eventually start.

I have charged the battery, tried to boost the bike but I'm still getting the same problem it's having a hard time turning over.

If the choke is off and no gas is applied the engine will turn but not start. If I have the choke on or apply some gas the engine will not even turn even if i'm boosting the bike.

I am not sure what is going on. why the engine would turn with no gas but not turn when gas or choke is applied. I hope to get an answer I'd like to go for a ride !!
Assuming the motor isn't damaged and turns over freely. Check Cables, relay and starter. Use a volt meter, start at the battery and find out where you're losing your voltage. Check at the red + battery post for 12volts, then the opposite end of the red battery cable (this cable has proven to be bad on 3 Raptors I've worked on with the same problem you have), check it with and without the start button pushed and see if the cable will carry the voltage load. Check across the relay, then check the long cable at the starter. Then check that you have a good ground. Then get back with us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just recharge the battery, start the bike with the battery in it and give more voltage from a car with cables. The bike will start immediately (as happened with mine). Mine has the power to turn the motor but did not had the power to give the spark. After giving it power from the car it ran in a quart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts