Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 04 660 sitting around for a year and now won't start. Drained fuel and changed battary and starter plug. Starts for a couple minutes than just will cut out by it's own or when I rev it. What might be my prob? Any solutions are welcome...

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
I'd say your first issue is going to be your carbs. I'm sure a few others will chime in, but it sounds like a carb issue to me, especially if it sat around for a year. Clean them!

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Float valves are gummed nearly closed so the bowls don't fill as fast as your demand for gas - pilot jets and small passages are going to be plugged too - time for a thorough carb cleaning. Clean the pilot jet's tiny passages with copper strands from speaker wire, they're too small just to soak or spray alone - the varnish needs some scrubbing with the copper.

Next time you store the bike for more than a few days, close the petcock and idle till it dies - no fuel in the bowls means no varnish from evaporating fuel means no carb cleaning necessary!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Float valves are gummed nearly closed so the bowls don't fill as fast as your demand for gas - pilot jets and small passages are going to be plugged too - time for a thorough carb cleaning. Clean the pilot jet's tiny passages with copper strands from speaker wire, they're too small just to soak or spray alone - the varnish needs some scrubbing with the copper.

Next time you store the bike for more than a few days, close the petcock and idle till it dies - no fuel in the bowls means no varnish from evaporating fuel means no carb cleaning necessary!

Amen.................:D

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
How do you clean the carbs exactly. Do you need to remove the jets or just spray them and run wire through them.
yes you have to remove the jets.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
How do you clean the carbs exactly. Do you need to remove the jets or just spray them and run wire through them.
Here is the answer I am going to give from now on..........:D

Clean the carbs as if you are cleaning your teeth using a tooth brush, dental floss and tooth picks, and if you have one, use a WaterPick............

For cleaning jets, clean them spotless, inside out and backwards...........

At our shop we use an ultrasonic cleaner using vinegar and water as the solution..............

1 - 7 of 7 Posts