Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I was on the trail, running fine...and all of a sudden it shut off...no problems indicated...it just ceases to run...tried cranking it a few times and it turned over but I ended up wearing down the battery and ended up having to tow it out.

I just got it torn down and here are the facts....

Battery is at 12 V, It will not even crank over now. I press the starter button and I hear a faint click under the seat but nothing else. I took off the front plastics and pulled the plug, covered in mud I might add, and checked for spark. No spark. Now I am at a loss on what to do so I am turning to the raptor gods of this forum for help. As usual thanks is all I can offer and even that doesn't seem like enough for the help I recieve from this fourm. At any rate, I checked the archives and came across QM's checklist:

1) does the temperature light come on when you press the start button, off when you let go?

No

2) does the reverse light come on when you are in reverse?

No
I believe it have been bypassed to cut out the rev limiter (Not sure though, the light did not work when I bought it but it does go in reverse)

3) do you hear a click from the starter relay - under the seat - when you press the start button?

Just one but yes I did hear a click

4) short across the two large lugs on the starter relay with a big screwdriver (ignore the sparks) - does the starter start cranking?

Trying this afternoon...

5) what happens to your neutral light when you press the start button - stays bright or dims to near nothing?

Stays bright.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
did you recharge the battery or try boosting it with another battery?

did you try crossing the solenoid?

did you try unplugging the regulator rectifier?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...I get spark with the short across the relay and the rectifier unplugged...does this mean my relay is bad?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok...I get spark with the short across the relay and the rectifier unplugged...does this mean my relay is bad?
If you unplug the rectifier and spark returns when the engine is turning over or it starts and runs with the rectifier unplugged, this means you have a defective stator.........

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the stator maintained the charge on the battery...how would that effect starting when the battery had a rating of 12 V already?

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I thought the stator maintained the charge on the battery...how would that effect starting when the battery had a rating of 12 V already?
How did you check the voltage of the battery, with a load as when starting or unloaded..........
The stator does charge the battery through the rectifier, but you can have a problem in the stator that can cause your ignition to fail, hence unplugging the rectifier is a test that can show you whether there is a problem with the stator.............

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How did you check the voltage of the battery, with a load as when starting or unloaded..........
The stator does charge the battery through the rectifier, but you can have a problem in the stator that can cause your ignition to fail, hence unplugging the rectifier is a test that can show you whether there is a problem with the stator.............
The battery unloaded is 12V when loaded it drops to 8, once it went down to 6, No spark with the rectifier plugged in. So if the stator is bad do I also need to replace the relay or is that still functioning? How much am I looking at rough estimate?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The battery unloaded is 12V when loaded it drops to 8, once it went down to 6, No spark with the rectifier plugged in. So if the stator is bad do I also need to replace the relay or is that still functioning? How much am I looking at rough estimate?
Anything below 9.6 volts loaded means you are either drawing too much current, or the battery is not sufficiently charged or is defective...........

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I have a defective stator, battery and relay?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
You currently have a combination of problems, which could all be a function of a bad stator.

1) Your battery is discharged, hopefully recoverable... FULLY charge your battery with a plug in charger
2) unplug the regulator
3) attempt to start - should start and run (based upon your previous statements)
4) plut regulator back in
5) attempt to start - should NOT start based upon previous statements

If all above are correct, then read following, else report back.

If bike will run with regulator unplugged but not with it plugged in, there is a short in your stator windings, which typically requires replacement. HOWEVER, this can often be fixed with a simple mod: Find the stator wires coming from the left side cover and CUT the red wire. Cut it with enough wire on both sides to reconnect if necessary. This wire is not necessary for the Raptor to run normally, but if the stator short involves this winding, cutting eliminates the problem. So cut the red, see if it will now run with the regulator plugged in. If so, you're good to go.

You should now measure battery voltage with the quad running well above idle to verify that the charging system is now working - it should be 13.5 volts or higher.

Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
starterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarter:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Bones, that's not a very good way to make friends in here... wtf are you trying to say - the starter is bad? Based upon the information so far you do not have enough data to come to this conclusion.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
starterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarterstarter:)

Kids............:D

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Have you taken the spark plug out? this same thing happened to me- My piston cracked on the intake side (very uncommon) and apparently slapped the spark plug to smitherines. In short words, top end could be bad. thats my 2 cents.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Have you taken the spark plug out? this same thing happened to me- My piston cracked on the intake side (very uncommon) and apparently slapped the spark plug to smitherines. In short words, top end could be bad. thats my 2 cents.

His engine runs... he lost spark - we have shown him how to get it back. Your suggestion is unrelated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts