Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was supposed to go riding with some friends for the first time over the winter and the raptor won't start. The battery held charge great, and it cranks well but just won't fire.

It has been sitting since October, and ran good when parked. When i parked it it was very low on gas ( i did put gas in before attempting to start), and i turned the gas off and ran it till it died as was suggested on here. I pulled the plug out and it was black, which was strange as it was changed just before parking it. Cleaned the plug up and sprayed some starting fluid in. She fired up and sounded healthy, then died once the starting fluid was burned up.

Seems like it is not getting fuel. It only sat for 3 months, so i can't imagine it has gotten gunked up. It was only 15 degrees out. Did a line freeze up or something? Never had an issue with this thing starting before, and like i said ran perfect before parked so has me a little stumped. The plug being black also has me a little confused, or could this just be from constant firing with no fuel?

Any input would be appreciated!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Was supposed to go riding with some friends for the first time over the winter and the raptor won't start. The battery held charge great, and it cranks well but just won't fire.

It has been sitting since October, and ran good when parked. When i parked it it was very low on gas ( i did put gas in before attempting to start), and i turned the gas off and ran it till it died as was suggested on here. I pulled the plug out and it was black, which was strange as it was changed just before parking it. Cleaned the plug up and sprayed some starting fluid in. She fired up and sounded healthy, then died once the starting fluid was burned up.

Seems like it is not getting fuel. It only sat for 3 months, so i can't imagine it has gotten gunked up. It was only 15 degrees out. Did a line freeze up or something? Never had an issue with this thing starting before, and like i said ran perfect before parked so has me a little stumped. The plug being black also has me a little confused, or could this just be from constant firing with no fuel?

Any input would be appreciated!
I suggest to take the carbs out and clean them...............Most likely the small amount of fuel that was left in the carbs is gelled and causing the problem...............or try tapping on the carbs with a wooden handle just to see if the needle and seats are stuck............

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does gas really gell up that quickly? I've never had an issue with one sitting all winter let alone 3 months. But I guess that will probably be my next step as im not really sure what else it could be.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Does gas really gell up that quickly? I've never had an issue with one sitting all winter let alone 3 months. But I guess that will probably be my next step as im not really sure what else it could be.
Under the right conditions, I have seen carbs gell up in 3 weeks, and for your imformation and this imformation comes from a friend that used to be a fuel dealer, the shelf life of gasoline is 4 weeks after it leaves the refinery............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts