Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i could start it the other day and i decided to go out and change my clutch from a lockout to a normal clutch. So i pulled the case cover and pulled the lockout off then put the stock case cover on. put everything back on and hook everything up. Now its not even turning over! I hooked up my car charger because ive had problems with keeping a charge in the battery. Well the charger said the batttery is fully charged. So i put the charger to Engine start and tried to start it. The starter relay sparked where the terminas are. Im not sure if the voltage arched or what. But its not even clicking which usually tells me dead battery. So what do yall think?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so i could start it the other day and i decided to go out and change my clutch from a lockout to a normal clutch. So i pulled the case cover and pulled the lockout off then put the stock case cover on. put everything back on and hook everything up. Now its not even turning over! I hooked up my car charger because ive had problems with keeping a charge in the battery. Well the charger said the batttery is fully charged. So i put the charger to Engine start and tried to start it. The starter relay sparked where the terminas are. Im not sure if the voltage arched or what. But its not even clicking which usually tells me dead battery. So what do yall think?
Check for wires that may be disconnected, ground wire to the engine......... ETC.......

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u mean the black plastic one down by the shifter?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well ive had it hooked up to one of the bolts on the left case cover that screws into the cases. It started with it there before. Or should i move it to the cases themselves?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Check every heavy cable connection from the battery to starter relay to starter to ground at case back to battery - one is loose or corroded.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the terminal on my starter is wobbly. im thinking about tearing my starter apart tomorrow and trying to fix that. i cant tighten the terminal all the way because it spins. I can only tighten the 2 nuts together, but ill do a good look over all my wires on the bike tomorrow.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
That'll do it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
well the terminal on my starter is wobbly. im thinking about tearing my starter apart tomorrow and trying to fix that. i cant tighten the terminal all the way because it spins. I can only tighten the 2 nuts together, but ill do a good look over all my wires on the bike tomorrow.
If that stud turns, the connection inside the starter is properly defective.............

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea go figure lol. Ill take a look at it tomorrow and see what i can do

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would that cause it to not do anything? It doesn't even click or anything. No audible noise at all

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Would that cause it to not do anything? It doesn't even click or anything. No audible noise at all
Well, no... so you have multiple problems.

Fix what you know is wrong (the starter stud) and troubleshoot the rest.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok so i pulled the starter. The bottom nut wasnt tight all the way so thats why it was spinning, once tightened it held like a champ. I Tried to start it after i reinstalled the starter and no joy. So i started shooting wires. All the switches checked good. Resistance through the wires were all good. Even the terminal wires were good. I checked all grounds and metered to make sure they were a solid ground also cleaned off the mating surface of where the connected. Still nothing! So i metered the starter relay internally and its not clicking over when power is applied. It seems to be stuck open. Also my battery is only putting out 4.63 volts. So im replacing my starter relay and more than likely my battery as well. That could of been why i couldnt keep a charge on my battery. Also i was thinking it was going bad when i was trying to start it when i started having problems because it was clicking rapidly which makes me think it was getting weak and going bad. QuadManiac i know that your the Electrical Guru here. Does my hypothesis seem to be correct or do you have some more advice i could try?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ok so i pulled the starter. The bottom nut wasnt tight all the way so thats why it was spinning, once tightened it held like a champ. I Tried to start it after i reinstalled the starter and no joy. So i started shooting wires. All the switches checked good. Resistance through the wires were all good. Even the terminal wires were good. I checked all grounds and metered to make sure they were a solid ground also cleaned off the mating surface of where the connected. Still nothing! So i metered the starter relay internally and its not clicking over when power is applied. It seems to be stuck open. Also my battery is only putting out 4.63 volts. So im replacing my starter relay and more than likely my battery as well. That could of been why i couldnt keep a charge on my battery. Also i was thinking it was going bad when i was trying to start it when i started having problems because it was clicking rapidly which makes me think it was getting weak and going bad. QuadManiac i know that your the Electrical Guru here. Does my hypothesis seem to be correct or do you have some more advice i could try?
A bad battery can cause the starter relay to rapidly click, I think caused by an internal bad connection between the cells............

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i could see that. ive seen it on cars when the battery is weak or when the terminals are highly corroded and causes a shorted connection. Ive been thru 2 batteries already but i think my tether switch i had wasnt grounded properly and was pulling power from my battery and killed them. idk but i know that my grounds are all solid and that if i could figure out this damn electrical problem i can finally have my first ride on this thing

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Replace your battery - the clicking was due to battery going dead, and at 4V it's now probably a worthless piece of lead and plastic.

Once replaced and fully charged, then see if it starts... and once started, measure battery voltage with engine running well above idle - needs to be at least 13.5 V or there may be a problem in the charging system also.

Nothing related to the starter relay can cause the battery to die - this is due to either an old, dying battery or non-op charging system.

Bottom line - replace battery, let us know what happens next. If tether switch is a problem, get rid of it!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea i took it off. I dont think its the charging system because the longest it has ran was about 4 miutes. The battery was dying with it just hooked up on the bike. Since ive taken the tether off its held a small charge. im gonna get a new battery and see how it funstiions after that and ill let everyone know. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a question tho. Why wouldnt the bike try to start when i had the charger on it?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
The charger can not supply enough current to start the bike - and if the battery has a shorted cell or two, all the charger's ability is taken up just by the short.

Try it with jumpers to a car battery instead - if the starter NOW doesn't turn over, we have a place to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol I like Ur style sir! I'll give it a shot when I get back and I'll let ya know what it does

1 - 20 of 29 Posts