Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I saw that shelrad1 posted a similar thread but my symptoms are different. This time it is on my wife's 2003 raptor 660 limited edition. Here is a quick story as to what happened.

I let my buddy ride the wife's quad last week. We were going down a trail and almost collided. The quad died when he hit the brake. I don't know if he popped the clutch or what. We tried to restart it but it would just turn over with nothing. We finally fried the battery trying to start it and towed it back to the car. Realizing we didn't bring cables we loaded it up. I got it home threw it on the charger and it fired right up. So i pulled the battery out and let it charge over night. I threw it back in yesterday and nothing. The neutral light DOES come on as well as the headlights. But when i hit the starter button nothing. No click no nothing. Fuses are fine. I cleaned the connectors that go to the cdi box and still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Oh and mine doesn't have a pull start.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok so I saw that she ra 1 posted a similar thread but my symptoms are different. This time it is on my wife's 2003 raptor 660 limited edition. Here is a quick story as to what happened.

I let my buddy ride the wife's quad last week. We were going down a trail and almost collided. The quad died when he hit the brake. I don't know if he popped the clutch or what. We tried to restart it but it would just turn over with nothing. We finally fried the battery trying to start it and towed it back to the car. Realizing we didn't bring cables we loaded it up. I got it home threw it on the charger and it fired right up. So i pulled the battery out and let it charge over night. I threw it back in yesterday and nothing. The neutral light DOES come on as well as the headlights. But when i hit the starter button nothing. No click no nothing. Fuses are fine. I cleaned the connectors that go to the cdi box and still nothing. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Oh and mine doesn't have a pull start.

Bad battery or battery connection, verify power is getting to the starter relay and that the short large sized cable from the battery to the start solenoid is not broken or a bad connection.................

·
Registered
238 Posts
Jump it from your car. If it will starts then the battery is bad. If you unhook the jumper cables and it dies then you also have a charging issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry i also forgot to mention that i hooked up the battery from my quad which is fine, (I started my quad fine with it) and same thing. So maybe the solenoid is bad? I looked at the cable going to the solenoid and it is fine. Nice and clean and fully intact.

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
Does the reverse light come on when you put it in reverse? If it did before, but doesn't now, most likely the run/stop switch is not making contact due to dirt/corrosion - clean it.

If reverse light DOES work - does temperature light come on when you press start button? If not, then the start button switch is most likely dirty/corroded - clean it.

Since you get no click when pressing start, yet you say headlights work (verify that they stay on when pressing start button), it is not likley a bad cable between battery and solenoid, but I'd check it anyway - wiggle it around near the battery lug and see if you can get it to start while wiggling. Battery acid likes to wick up into the copper near the lug, causing the copper to become brittle and break. Do the same with the ground cable at battery.

Report back with results and, if you haven't found the issue, we can go on to the next level of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the temp light doesn't come on when i try to start it. the reverse light did work before but i haven't tried that yet. I am working today but will be off tomorrow. I will check it then and see if the reverse light comes on or not. Thanks again for all the help man. (my wife doesn't know he quad wont start. Im hoping to get it started again before she finds out or else ill never hear the end of it.) You guys are awesome!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Well the temp light doesn't come on when i try to start it. the reverse light did work before but i haven't tried that yet. I am working today but will be off tomorrow. I will check it then and see if the reverse light comes on or not. Thanks again for all the help man. (my wife doesn't know he quad wont start. Im hoping to get it started again before she finds out or else ill never hear the end of it.) You guys are awesome!
If she does ask why it doesnt start, just tell her it is out of gas, the reason it is out of gas is because of the price of the stuff................:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If she does ask why it doesnt start, just tell her it is out of gas, the reason it is out of gas is because of the price of the stuff................:D
LOL no joke. she has the limited edition so she has the blk and red plastics while mine has blue. Ill just switch plastics while im out working on it in the garage. That way if she looks out she will think im working on mine! Im a genius!

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
Okay, so the temp light doesn't come on when pressing start... if the reverse light also doesn't come on, it's most likely the run/stop switch. If reverse does come on, it's most likely the start switch.

Both are in the same housing, so I'd suggest removing the switch cluster from the bars and cleaning it out thoroughly with contact cleaner/lubricant (from Radio Shack), brake cleaner, or WD40, while vigorously exercising the switches.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again you are a genius. I just got to work on it last night. We had a death in the family last week so i havent had time for it. I pulled the stop/run switch off, it was filthy. Cleaned it up and it fired right up! Thanks again for all the help.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Once again you are a genius. I just got to work on it last night. We had a death in the family last week so i havent had time for it. I pulled the stop/run switch off, it was filthy. Cleaned it up and it fired right up! Thanks again for all the help.
Quad sure knows his electrical stuff, for lack of better words.............:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
I LOVE simple successes - Good job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts