Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a XC worthy machine and just put in $1000 dollar order. Here is what I bought:
Tusk Comp Nerf Bars
Twin Air Air Filter
Dubach Racing Reverse Lever
Cycra M-4 Hand Guards
Renthal 15t front sprocket
Tusk Kill Switch
Maxxis Razr 2 20-11-9
Maxxis Razr 2 21-7-10
Dr. D slip on
Dobeck FI Controller

Besides some skids am I missing anything? I got most of the ideas for parts from this site. It was a great help!

I went to the AWRCS race in WV this weekend with my buddy and it got me hooked. Sadly I noticed out of some 60 or so in attendance not one Raptor 700 was there. Can someone explain this to me? :3question:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
now it's your job to go show them what they are missing!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:thumbsup: Not a problem I just need to work on the endurance part. That track looked brutal in some spots and its supposed to be one of the easier tracks on the circuit. Anyone else out here race/d in the AWRCS?

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
i've never raced but i know what you mean about the endurance, riding can really beat the shit out of ya!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think your set up is looking good
If there's lots of tight, slower moving sections where you rev in and out a lot I would suggest staying with stock gearing. I'm not sure if it's sanctioned in racing or not, but you might also want to try some coolant additive to help keep her cooler. You don't want to experience vapor lock (with the older pump) or any kind of overheating.

Also, if you don't have aftermarket suspension, your choice of tires and the pressure you run can soak up a lot of what the ground is going to give you. I like the Razr2's, but their casing doesn't flex as much as the i-Razr's do, and you'll want that 'give' on some of those rocks and roots. i-Razr's are more expensive, but they bite down real good in the woods, slide beautifully when needed, and I believe just as tough yet lighter than Razr2's.

Definitely don't forget a steering stabilizer! it's gonna help with the whole endurance thing.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Dont worry im usually 1 of maybe 2-3 Raptors (660s/700s) at all of my races usually 100+ riders, I love showin up 450s in the woods, anyway your setup looks good from my standpoint just mentally prepare yourself and eat somewhat healthy a few days before a race and the morning of and you'll feel great throughout....it takes practice but the speed will come if ya stick with it

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wish there was some sort of racing here. :( Not even allowed on the MX track with a quad, and all woods races are two wheel only. (not a Raptor wheelie either ;) )

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Crash08 said:
I am building a XC worthy machine and just put in $1000 dollar order. Here is what I bought:
Tusk Comp Nerf Bars
Twin Air Air Filter
Dubach Racing Reverse Lever
Cycra M-4 Hand Guards
Renthal 15t front sprocket
Tusk Kill Switch
Maxxis Razr 2 20-11-9
Maxxis Razr 2 21-7-10
Dr. D slip on
Dobeck FI Controller

Besides some skids am I missing anything? I got most of the ideas for parts from this site. It was a great help!

I went to the AWRCS race in WV this weekend with my buddy and it got me hooked. Sadly I noticed out of some 60 or so in attendance not one Raptor 700 was there. Can someone explain this to me? :3question:
Are you getting skids? My opinion would be they are ythe most important if XC racing. Protect your investment.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does anyone know if there are any of these races in the NY State (New England area)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ThorDAN: Thanks for the input on the gearing issue. I wasn't sure which way to go with that. I can always just throw the sprocket in the pit box for a spare. I will pick up some coolant additive this weekend. I wish i would've posted this parts list before I ordered it. I had the I-Razrs on my list but switched out at the last moment for the 2's.

RaptorRacer45: I sure hope I don't let the Raptor crowd down but hey its my first race just going to get the feel for it not looking to be standing on a podium just yet. I watched my buddy on the holeshot and to be honest i was shaking.

DrDsRaptor: No unfortunately I did not add skids into my list. I have already over went on my budget but I am gonna pick up some A-Arm guards at least before the first race.

Looks like all the parts will be arriving by this weekend. Gonna be a long Saturday and a case of bud light for the buddies. :beer:
I will post pics as soon as its all complete. :wootwoot:

Thanks everyone its wonderful to be able to come to one page and have all of your questions answered!

·
Registered
733 Posts
I made my own skids (even a-arms) out of thick plastic and just attached it over the stockers and it held up great. I had the stuff layin' around so it cost me nothing. I didn't even crack one so I will be able to use them again. You will definiitely want skids for woods racing ... Period!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys gonna invest in some skidders then. Gonna talk to my local machine shop and see if they can come up with a cheaper alternative if not gonna shell out the money and buy some. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I bought Pro Armor all the way around. Love the fit, Strong (bashed them on several rocks), and the oil drain hole is in the proper place unlike the GYTR skids (go figure). Less than $300 for all of them. A arm, chasis, and swinger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts