Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:crying :ripped: so i went to work on my raptor 700r se 2017 in the garage a couple weeks back. well i decided i needed the gas from the tank for my car tank. me being a dumbass had a propane heater on the floor about 15 feet away and again me being a dumbass i try tipping the quad over with a funnel in a gas can to get the gas out of the tank. as im holding the quad on two wheels no gas is pouring out of the atv. so i edge it further on its side and as im going further over i realize i cant hold the atv up anymore and that it was going to be turned on its side. as soon as it hit the flooor gas started spewing out (about a full tank . like 2.9 gallons or something) i ran around the front of my atv and as i started to pick it up i looked over to see where the heater was but at that moment is when the litte flame from the heater made one huge flame into my quads tank instantly without even being 5 inches from the gas, the fumes were just so powerful it went up fast. i seen my quad was turned over and in flames and i freaked out grabbed the heater and propane . threw them out of the garage and slamed the foor shut behind me. called 911. luckily after the fire department showed up the garage hadnt burned to the ground. lost my baby though and i had insurance but because it was on a loan they wont be doing anything but paying the rest of the bike off for me. cant believe this..... my passion for riding was everything. fuck my life.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Holy Fricking COW!!!!

Well, look at this way. It's a toy, you can buy those. Your house and your life were spared. Quick thinking to eliminate it getting any worse. ugh, we feel for you man, that sucks majorly.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
I agree with them, you're OK, and can always replace the bike. But something's fishy with your insurance. They should pay on the value of the bike, not the loan payoff.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
that really sucks! but like the rest have said you still have the house and your life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
same, idk much about it though being the quad was in my mothers name. shes the one who told me they are just paying off the rest of what is owed. i bought it brand new in 2017 in janurary so im really angry about the fact it was brand new 2 years ago and now i wont get a replacement for a total loss. just doesnt make sense. how can i look into this more. what questions can i ask my mother.
I agree with them, you're OK, and can always replace the bike. But something's fishy with your insurance. They should pay on the value of the bike, not the loan payoff.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So sorry, but as others have said, be so thankful it wasn't worse.
There's a guy on Grizzly Central that had a worse day/year than that.

Summary: He was loading his Grizzly in bed of the truck, truck started to roll, he tried to jump out to get in the truck but got caught up under the truck tire, almost bled out due to arm and leg injuries before someone came along to help him. They amputated from the knee down on one leg. He's now back up and around after lots of rehab.

We always need to be extra careful and not get in a hurry. Easier said than done often, I know.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,190 Posts
same, idk much about it though being the quad was in my mothers name. shes the one who told me they are just paying off the rest of what is owed. i bought it brand new in 2017 in janurary so im really angry about the fact it was brand new 2 years ago and now i wont get a replacement for a total loss. just doesnt make sense. how can i look into this more. what questions can i ask my mother.
You or your mother can start with questions to the insurance company. You should have equity to be reimbursed. If you don't get a positive response then contact your local insurance commissioner. Who did you have for insurance?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ask to see the policy. I guess it depends on how much was left on the loan. if the amount left to be paid on the load is more than what the insurance Co deems the quad is worth at two years old then I'm sure that is the insurance co. response.

it all depends on the wording of the policy.

Again I hate this happened. Try to see a silver lining if you can.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Brother.....let me tell you.....you are fucking lucky. I mean lotto lucky.

There are a few lessons the universes teaches that tend toward the comically grotesque.

1. Momentum, inertia, incline planes and heavy objects
2. Heat, flammable media and open flame
3. Height, friction and distance...which once you've failed to respect, becomes a 2 fold lesson as you get to contemplate all of Rule 1 on the way down.

If you brush up against any of these.....and walk away with all your fingers and toes, no bones bent that can't be straightened, sight in both eyes and your facial hair/face still intact.......you won.

Here's why......you've just learned a lesson about having the right tool for the job. This will pay dividends for the rest of your life. You will start to see accidents before they happen because you'll be aware of people failing to respect the forces at work.

Could be a person under an unchalked vehicle and a red flag will go up in your brain....

Could be someone getting ready to light a cigarette near a gas pump (seen that happen, what a wild ass night that turned into)...

Or could just be taking the extra 3 seconds to go get a good screw driver, rather than the one you've been using as a small pry bar for the last 3 years, so you don't strip the screws that anchor the dishwasher to the cabinets.

What you were doing wasn't stupid. Transferring fuel though, as you've no doubt concluded, is an endeavor that rewards messing around with horrible consequences. When the gas station went up, I saw fumes jump over 15 feet, from the front of a full size crew cab Chevy, in a breeze strong enough, that the guy was on the front side of the open driver door......wind blowing from fuel door to him, and I can still remember hearing the *chk* *chk* *chk* as he struggled to get a light.....and just as I was starting to think like "this seems bad" *Wooooooosh* Like a lightening bolt of fire, through the open door window from the lighter to the fuel door, where the pump was in, and pumping.

Point being...there is so rarely a reason not to wait until you have the right tools to do what you want to do.....I get that sometimes you just gotta stick your finger in someone and stop the bleeding (coincidentally, I carry 2 tourniquets and 3 types of quick clot on my person any time I throw a leg over a bike) but 99% of the time...

...and bro, I'm not even throwing shade at you.....if you're older than 20, and this is where you are, given 3 lifetimes and unlimited money, the chances of you making your way to a point where my high water mark of retardation was even visible, are somewhere between slim to none and LOL. I have learned everything in my life, by breaking something, burning something down, blowing something (or several somethings up) or getting a riding lawn mower stuck 30 feet up a 200 year oak (I was only stuck about 10 foot up it when things settled.)

....and I guarantee....just look at what people are telling you....how lucky you are.....I'm not the only one. People that see some shit like that go down and can't think of anything but just how incredibly lucky you are, have seen the dark shit. Have seen some things where the person didn't get up, and there wasn't a bunch of adrenaline dump laughter after everyone crawled out of the totaled truck....

I'm so glad you're ok. This could have gone tits up in a million different ways. I mean that.....

Tonight, be grateful that you can see with both eyes. Brush your teeth, wipe your ass or write your name.....or even be here.....because for a split second when that all went down, that future was crazy uncertain.

I know it's hard but, wishing you some peace about all this and hoping you find the clarity to realize what an amazing freebie this was.......

.....cause the universe don't hand out too many freebies with regard to the 3 things I mentioned.

There's no getting around it brother........

Those who run afoul of physics, rarely live long enough to apply the lessons they're so briefly exposed to.

..........you're one lucky son of a bitch.

·
Registered
242 Posts
....I promise you brother....you learn these lessons....and one day you will look back and go "I learned that for a few K and a hassle?" and you will think "best day of my life."

....but I also know, as I did, that it can an extremely hard thing to do. We're all pulling for you bro.

Hell, if you set up a pay pal or something, I'll drop ya a few hundo on a new bike.

·
Registered
242 Posts
...actually, pondering on it some more, thinking about how gutted I'd be if I lost my only bike, I can either do that.....

...or....

......if 5 other people dropped a bill on it, or if you come up with 500, I'll match it. That would put you about half way to a good used bike. Prolly wont' be as cherry as your 2017 but.....it'll sure get those front wheels back in the air.

Just lmk bro.

Again....so glad you're ok man.

·
Registered
242 Posts
....and one last thing....I'm not offering to help out with a new bike cause I feel bad for you.....or don't think you can get one on your own.....it's cause I'm a gambler.......

......of all the ways the next bike could get totaled....I'm betting 500 bucks it aint fire. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Soooo, when's the rebuild???

Reactions: Alamo

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Wow man I hate to hear this. It's easy for everyone to say it could have been worse and stay positive but they're all 100% right. I commend your presence of mind to keep the situation from getting worse. I know you don't feel lucky right now but you have no clue how badly you could have been hurt or even killed. Burns suck. A lot. I know this sucks right now but material objects are replaceable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
...actually, pondering on it some more, thinking about how gutted I'd be if I lost my only bike, I can either do that.....

...or....

......if 5 other people dropped a bill on it, or if you come up with 500, I'll match it. That would put you about half way to a good used bike. Prolly wont' be as cherry as your 2017 but.....it'll sure get those front wheels back in the air.

Just lmk bro.

Again....so glad you're ok man.
I'm in to float a 100 spot.

I stay pretty busy and don't check the forums much so if this comes to fruition someone PM me. A PM is actually what brought me here in the first place.

OP stay positive man.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
I can match Jsanders....

Reactions: Rprice and Alamo

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Reactions: Alamo
1 - 20 of 93 Posts