Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...0QQihZ012QQcategoryZ43972QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i just spent over 1100$ on the big 3 and im at maybe 55 hp. if im lucky. this kit is claiming 80+hp and it gives you the exhaust included for 900.00 my barkers duals were 650.00 alone. im not real sure if i beleive this. im gonna have to throw the :bs: flag. rocketfactory is doing extensive motor work and barely hitting 80 hp. what do you think about this rf??

·
Registered
270 Posts
That is no where near tunkey. I will promise you that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How's the turbo never used but they are claiming HP numbers??? That manifold looks plenty believable, but all of the plumbing and getting your fuel situation perfected will be a hassle. All in all, it's still a bargain for $900.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think theres anyway a stock bike with this setup is going to be anywhere near 80hp.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Try searching shandy's turbos... they make a kit for the Raptor. IMO it looks rediculous, but if it goes... [email protected] it!!! I'll bet they aren't running stock crank either... :unsure:

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
chadshlong said:
That kit is more than likely from these people -
http://192.48.234.65/specials.asp
nope. doens't look at all the same, the ones on that site are a lot more "refined" finish. the one in the auction looks to be more custom made (like the mounts and what not) Rocket Factory is sticking to 'PURE' HP. No Forced Induction.. thats why they aren't as high numbers.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
donoair said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...0QQihZ012QQcategoryZ43972QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i just spent over 1100$ on the big 3 and im at maybe 55 hp. if im lucky. this kit is claiming 80+hp and it gives you the exhaust included for 900.00 my barkers duals were 650.00 alone. im not real sure if i beleive this. im gonna have to throw the :bs: flag. rocketfactory is doing extensive motor work and barely hitting 80 hp. what do you think about this rf??

I don't believe it for a minute not with that kit. Your going to have a lot more than that tied up in it to get it done, dialed in and running worth a shit. With stock internals it won't live at 70 HP yet alone at 80 :crazy:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Im not so sure why you guys are doubting 80hp. 80hp souldnt be the question with boost. The other kits are all pushing more then 80hp and also the proto type super charger said they were going to push 80hp all stock intake and exhaust on 5-7lbs of boost. Turbos can push alot more boost then that if need be and get more the 80hp. This is not safe on a stock motor IMO, but HP #s in the 80's is easily do able.

Now this does look like a home done job with poor bends, welding, fitmant, quailty and parts, but doesnt mean it dont work. I personally have done some F*CKED looking shit that got the job done. Its always got better the next time around.

Now anyone that knows how to work on a bike knows theres going to be alot of work that goes into this kit. Your going to need to have alot more then what this kit comes with. A PCIII and a custom dynod map, Im sure the turbo requires oil to cool and lube it, so a oil pressure line is going to have to be ran from the engine to the turbo and back from the turbo to the engine again. I also dont see any blow off valve on this setup which would be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
chadshlong said:
That kit is more than likely from these people -
http://192.48.234.65/specials.asp
This one does come with valves and fuel programmer/map, and the vavle... still think that is the tip o' the iceberg, as mentioned before the stock crank would not hold up to the abuse. The e-bay item is definately home made, did you see the manifold!?!?! I was tossing around wet NOS or turbo for a while, and Shandysturbos was the best looking I could find, even then it looks like shit IMO. I would like to see the supercharger though. :thumbsup:

Donair makes a real good point though.... I have more than $900 into the three mods. :'( But I don't see the turbo charged umit doing real well in the woods. :p

http://www.shandyturbos.com/raptor700.html $3500 without the PC lll

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
integlikewhoa said:
Im not so sure why you guys are doubting 80hp. 80hp souldnt be the question with boost. The other kits are all pushing more then 80hp and also the proto type super charger said they were going to push 80hp all stock intake and exhaust on 5-7lbs of boost. Turbos can push alot more boost then that if need be and get more the 80hp. This is not safe on a stock motor IMO, but HP #s in the 80's is easily do able.

Now this does look like a home done job with poor bends, welding, fitmant, quailty and parts, but doesnt mean it dont work. I personally have done some F*CKED looking shit that got the job done. Its always got better the next time around.

Now anyone that knows how to work on a bike knows theres going to be alot of work that goes into this kit. Your going to need to have alot more then what this kit comes with. A PCIII and a custom dynod map, Im sure the turbo requires oil to cool and lube it, so a oil pressure line is going to have to be ran from the engine to the turbo and back from the turbo to the engine again. I also dont see any blow off valve on this setup which would be a good idea.

I have yet to see a turbo charged single cyclinder thumper run worth a shit consistently at the dunes and race hills. Not saying it can't be done but it's just not as consistent and reliable as some would like to think. And you still need to spend the money to beef up the internals to handle the HP levels that can be achieved with turbo charging.

Lets take this for an example:

You add a turbo charger kit to your stock 700R and get it all dialed in and runing good and making 80 RWHP on the stock internals.

Your going to bust a rod off in that stocker at 80 HP in short order :eek:

I'll take my mid 70 RWHP 780 with the best of everything in it internally and add a 20 HP shot of N20, and I'll still beat you to the top of the hill and I can do it all day long. I have a shade over 3,000 in my build. If you want to make that 80 HP turbo charged bike live your going to have to spend money on a good piston and rod and have the crank trued , welded and balanced ETC, add that and the price of the turbo kit and all the other stuff you will need to make it turn key and the dyno tuning and custom map and your going to have as much or more into it than what I have in my build. I don't have any turbo lag and my engine still looks stock so it's a lot easier to get races with and I don't have the added weight and monkey motion that comes with a turbo set up and makes the bike harder to work on and do the maintnence on. The turboed and supercharged bikes are just not worth the extra effort IMHO

·
Registered
146 Posts
but for the price of a shandy turbo, you could build the baddest motor ever. . .and still have money left for a backup :grin_nod:

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Has anyone broken an OEM rod in the 700 yet? How about the cases? I ask because I'm curious what kind of power the OEM parts can handle and I haven't personally come across instances where someone has passed that threshold.

If you're racing 300' or a track of some kind you'll be disappointed with a turbo's power delivery. But for guys who have a little more straight line room and longer hills to climb it's an attractive alternative to spending a similar amount for an all-motor build.

As for this particular unit I wouldn't buy it, but I personally think that either a tested kit or a well-built one off is certainly worth a look.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My buddy threw a rod through the case. He had a 13:1 piston (I think) stock bore, stock rod and crank, + 3 mods. No clue what kind of HP, never dynoed it. His bike was quick but he doesn't take care of his stuff. He's always messing something up by ignorance or lack of maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Thanks Rob.

I know that when the 660 Rods started going a bunch went and it was all over the web. I try to keep up with the 700's but I certainly don't catch as much as I'd like to.

I was thinking about how you never USED to have to upgrade the rods on the thumpers...then I remember that it was back when the warrior was a big bore and that power wouldn't be very impressive today. There are some current street bikes with internals that can handle some upgrades though.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Anytime you double the HP output of a Single cylinder 4 stroke engine(or any engine for that matter) it's prudent to go with an after market rod and at the least a welded, trued and balanced crank and a quality high silicone content A/M piston, adding a forged A/M crank is even a better insurance policy.

Your playing with a grenade with the pin already pulled otherwise ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
The other factor to me is how does it look. I don't like how the turbo looks on there LT450. With a built motor you could still look stock other than your pipes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts