Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my stator cover due to the chain popping off but anyway now when i go to start the quad i hear a buzzing noise under the seat coming from the black relay(i think thats what its called) with the 2 fuses in it. So it wont start unless i push start it. Info asap im going riding tomorrow. thanks :help:

·
Registered
204 Posts
That would be the starter solenoid. Is your battery low? Try charging it. If not then I would replace the solenoid.

·
Registered
183 Posts
put it on a low charge and let it set for a few hours, if this doesn't work then u need a new battery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
may just be the terminals are loose. or the fuses are blown. Or like everyone else said it could just be a dead battery.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so i charged the battery and it didnt work still buzzes, so i guess i replace the relay thing under the seat? i tried messing with the connections on the battery and the relay. So anyone know where i can find one cheap or anyone have one. I found one on ebay just have to wait 3 days.
thanks

·
Registered
960 Posts
its not a fuse cause then it wont do anything at all no click no nothin charge it longer at a little higher amp run it at like 12 for an hour or so if you have a quick start kind put it like at 100amp or start might be 200amp also not sure or so and try starting it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the battery was charged and still the same buzzing noise, if i cross the polls on the relay it should fire correct? One more thing i noticed the temp light kicking on too when i try to start it. It might already do it im not sure i dont pay attention just letting you all know. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
no,
if it's arcing you didn't make a good connection
you bypassed the relay when you jumped the terminals, it may not be the problem.
look further into the battery, charged, good connection at the terminals and not corroded.
If you have a meter put it on the battery while cranking, or trying to crank it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i don't know if this is the same problem i have been having but it sounds like it. the other day i was riding the raptor and i keep hearing what appeared to sound like a soft alarm coming from under the seat. it didn't sound like a buzz and by a buzz i mean like when you press the start button and your battery is low. it's like a soft whistle/alarm sound, whistle sound. if any one knows what this noise is let me know or even if it is related to the buzz yall are talking about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im not sure about your whistling noise ur having, but i thought of this today i replaced the stator cover on my 660 and partially pulled out the starter and put it back in is there any way it might have not set back in there correctly causing it to make the noise, if not where do i put a tester (i forget what its called) on the 2 bolts on the relay and try to start it what should it read and exactly where do i test it at. thanks

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The whistling noise is gas being vented from the battery, battery's make gas when charging, it's OK.

wobbly, how old is your battery? time for a new one? If you have a volt meter put the leads on the battery and try to start it, if the voltage drops below 10vdc I'd bet your due to replace the battery. If the reading remains close to what the battery is when not starting you need to look at the cables to be clean and tight then it may be time for a relay.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wobbly_Table said:
but i thought of this today i replaced the stator cover on my 660 and partially pulled out the starter and put it back in is there any way it might have not set back in there correctly
do you think that might be the problem cause it started before that but sometimes it gave me trouble and i had to mess with the relay to get it to start, any way of testing the relay?
my raptor is a 05, my batt. should still be good right

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
An 05 battery should be good yet but there's no guarantee, I don't think the starter has anything to do with it. The starter is located in position by the cover you replaced and the two bolts hold it down. You could pull the small cover by the starter and look at the gears to see if they are all in place put I doupt that you'd have gotten the cover on if they were miss aligned.

I don't think this is the problem, I think you looking for a bad connection or to replace the relay or battery, the relay is chattering and it's either not getting the power it needs or is worn out.

Quadmaniac should have some better diagnostics than I will. Just need to get his attention.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts