Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My quad is about to be out of warranty here near the end of Feb. The cost of the 4-yr warranty is $872, is that the going rate or does it vary at all? Is the price negotiable? Most important, is it worth it? My best friend is a seasoned mechanic at a cycle local shop, and he actually recommends it, simply due to the high cost to repair IF something were to happen a couple years from now. Since these are pretty high-strung machines, I can see the value, but it may be a crap-shoot too. Also, does performing the "3 mods" void the warranty? I read thru the paperwork, and it won't cover something if the problem is due to an aftermarket part. Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a friend who owns a shop and he told me not to purchase the warranty because 80% of the time they will call the breakage rider error and you'll have to pay for the repair yourself! Just something to think about!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I would def get it but not at that price............i got the 5 yr and theft coverage for 800. def shop around other dealers or like you said negotiate

·
Registered
815 Posts
I paid $500 for my YES warranty.... its like a 4 1/2 yr warranty or something... i wish i hadnt bought it now... bcs after doing all the stuff to my bike that i have, there is no way that they would cover anything... if something were to happen....

My opinion - if you are planning on doing mods, then DONT buy the warranty.... if your just going to leave the bike as is... then YES get the warranty... but dont pay $800 for it....
Im from Missouri... me and five of my friends bought bikes ... and none of us paid more than $500 for the warranty

Plattner

·
Registered
596 Posts
yeah i paid 499 for the warranty and 300 for the theft up to 5 grand

·
Registered
912 Posts
I got it for my 660 back in 2003 and used it for the first time this month for the starter clutch. Yamaha covered everything without hesitation so all I had to pay was labor. I also got the theft insurance for up to 5 grand. Its a good thing I used it when I did because it expires in march. 8)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How are you guys getting it for like $500? I just got a quote direct from Yamaha stating it is $878 for 4 years. Are the dealers discounting it at the time of purchase or something?

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Yeah, you get a discount when you buy the bike. If you want to add it later the price gets jacked up. I was told by my dealer that the "three mods" will not change the warranty. I'm gald I went with the 5 year plan, just a good back up if something goes wrong with the engine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They didn't offer to discount it when I got the bike, and said that I could acutally get it cheaper later?!?! Sounds like they really didn't know what they were doing in that regard. Oh well, I don't think I can justify the nearly $900 now, even though that is still cheaper than one engine rebuild. Guess I'll just take my chances!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I would think Yamaha would not cover a warranty issue if your bike had the three mods on it. You might want to check that before you purchase one. :thumbsup: I see you have a PC3!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have already torn the engine apart my self and installed a big bore/ stroker kit. So i guess my thought is unless it going to be left stock and babied, then no reason for the insurance. But im also a do it yourself kind of person, so i would never spend my money on the ins.

·
Registered
170 Posts
warranty is a good thing.. i only had my bike for 5 months and the tranny already went bad.. i think it was 3 and 5th gear. now yamaha is saying that it was my fault for not pulling the clutch in all the way.. well they can eat it. I had the same prob with the 2001 raptor that i had before.. Yamaha has to figure out what is wrong with their tranny.. other than that.. awesome bike..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts