Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new carb for my raptor and new performance exhaust and air filter it’s been running great but the idle was a little choppy and it was a pain to get started cold but when it was warmed up and ran, it would start right up. I adjusted the values to .005 - .003 on intake and .007 on exhaust (intake valves wouldn’t take a .001 before I adjusted). At first it started right up no issue but still choppy idle but after it sat for 3 hr it wouldn’t start back up at all. spark plugs new but it is a little black and my adjustment screw on carb is 1/2 a turn out on the left carb and 2 1/2 on right carb.

Please help!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the airbox lid on or off?
If it's off, stock carbs need #25 pilots.
it’s off and spark plug is a little black is a #25 pilot stock or more?
Post a link to the Ebay sale so we can see what you have.

The link ishttps://www.ebay.com/itm/265344690533?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8tjRy9AxRMi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=djm44olqqeg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

·
Registered
196 Posts
it’s off and spark plug is a little black is a #25 pilot stock or more?

The link ishttps://www.ebay.com/itm/265344690533?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8tjRy9AxRMi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=djm44olqqeg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I am sorry to say that you got an Ebay/amazon knock off carb. Lots of people have problems with them. Do you have the original OEM Yamaha carbs? If you do lets talk you thru rebuilding those as you will have much better luck getting it to run right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am sorry to say that you got an Ebay/amazon knock off carb. Lots of people have problems with them. Do you have the original OEM Yamaha carbs? If you do lets talk you thru rebuilding those as you will have much better luck getting it to run right.
ok I got it starting up perfect everytime now but now another issue has popped up. When I’m driving and shift up a gear and go about a 1/4 throttle it like Boggs/stutters a little, when I apply choke it stops, but when I go past a 1/4 it runs great. Should I adjust the carb needle for more fuel? If so I was wondering how to lean it out/ richen the carb. Also running 91 octane. Should I put air box lid on?

·
Master of the Electron
16,035 Posts
Try opening the fuel screws a quarter turn each and richen the needles one notch... see if that helps. However, with lid off you should need much larger than stock mains for it to run above 1/2 throttle... typical problem with cheap aftermarket carbs - they just don't make sense.

The rBay Chinese carbs are famous for terrible tolerances... but you could be lucky and have gotten a pair that isn't too far out of spec. If you can get those carb copies to work well across all three circuits (idle, mid and full throttle) you will be among a small group.

After a lot of trying, most just give up and return to the original carbs ... they don't wear out (usually) they just need a good, thorough cleaning and rubber parts replacement (which you can steal from the cheap carbs).

Good luck!

Reactions: Sixpack577
1 - 10 of 10 Posts