Raptor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a 2001 blaster for $1200. it needs the front brake line run to the handle and a new spring for the rear brake pedal. it started 2nd kick and idled great, the motor was just rebuilt but i didn't get to test ride, he said price is nego and I dont know bout them any input?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I have a 01 blaster. Don't buy it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That bad?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
yes. if your set on a blaster buy the newer ones with disc brakes in the front. i HATE my blaster with every ounce of my being. are you buying it for someone else?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with jsanders buy one with disk brakes. I just got one in November 2005 still had the nubs on the tires, all stock except the oil block off, $1300 with a brand new set of paddles.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no i was gonna bu it, mod it then sell it but it sounds like its not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
you wouldnt make anything off it. waste of time and effort

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dang why no love for the blaster? I had one when i was younger prior to getting the 660, and i loved that little thing. I beat the piss out of and it would always start second kick, and was easy as hell to maintain. It's a great machine for what it is, i never had an issue with the brakes, really don't get that one. It isn't a 2010 model and shouldn't be compared to one, and doesn't stop on a dime, but that issue is being really inflated.

As far as the one you are looking at, $1200 is steep for one in that condition. I sold my 99 for $1200 and it was in great shape. Even if you found one in great shape, they really don't go for much, so unless you could find one for a few hundred to fix up, there is no money to be made with flipping one.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
you must have gotten lucky with the brakes. my drum brakes were a joke. as was the handling. who compared it to a 2010 model? i dont think the braking issue is being inflated. i think it is bring represented as it was. can you honestly say you were happy with the braking performance?? :lol: it wasnt a bad bike for what it was but im glad that ive moved on. very gald

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well i mean the bike is like the banshee, originally an 80's design and basically unchanged over the years. All i'm saying is for what it is it is a good machine, but if you are comparing to like a raptor 250 or something in that class of atv, then yeah the brakes aren't exactly on par. Don't get me wrong, i'm glad i moved on too, there is no comparison with my 660 in any way shape or form. I just don't see the issue with the brakes, and they are reliable as hell, especially for a 2 stroke. I mean yeah the brakes aren't incredible but they will bring you too a stop just fine. The handling isn't the greatest i guess compared to anything newer especially with its short wheel base, but again i rode the hell out of it for years and took hard corners just fine.

You just seemed to slam it like it was a terrible machine, and it is a great little cheap entry level atv.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
i was slamming it in the sense that it would be a bad purchase to try and flip. and i was slamming the brakes, because they suck ass. other than that its a good bike to learn on and pretty fun with a 240 kit

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was slamming it in the sense that it would be a bad purchase to try and flip. and i was slamming the brakes, because they suck ass. other than that its a good bike to learn on and pretty fun with a 240 kit
Well that much i'll agree with, simply because they aren't worth much, so there is little money to be made.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Blasters make awesome bikes! Ive had 4 of them in the past years. Easy to maintain and parts are cheap as could be! Theyre fun little bikes to rip on, but one thing about the blasters are that they are practically worthless. Whatever you dump into them, you will almost never get back. That price is little steep. Id get him down to $800-$900. If you can get him down that low scap it up. So what if it has drum brakes? You buy a 03+ carrier and a blaster 03+ rear caliper weld some M/C tabs onto the frame and your done for the rear. For the front, you can buy aftermarket spindles that bolt up that allow raptor 660, yfz, and banshee front calipers.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to pass on the buy cause I just rolled my raptor last night and I need the moeny for parts on that instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts