Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad is looking into buying a yama 250 moto dirt bike, we were looking on the website and they offer in a four stroke and a 2 stroke, which one would yall go with?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want out of it and how you'll be riding it. Not sure where ya live but here in Cali they are stickered differently as well and that may limit your riding to.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it will be a bike for fun and possibly race it some.... dont live in cali.

would 2 stroke be faster/more powerful than the 4 stroke?
How is the reliability of a 2 stroke compared to a 4?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Machy said:
it will be a bike for fun and possibly race it some.... dont live in cali.

would 2 stroke be faster/more powerful than the 4 stroke?
How is the reliability of a 2 stroke compared to a 4?
2 stroke 250 makes a lot more power than a 4 stroke 250, but in racing classes the 250 thumpers race 125 two strokes and the 250 two strokes race 450 thumpers.

If it's a trail motor (probably on the moto) the 4 stroke will probably run like a top for a very long time with minimal effort. It's the race 250 four strokes that need constant maintenance.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think he is going to go witha 2 stroke since he rode a 2 stroke for about 25 years prior, I think he is just gettin jelous over me having a raptor and him just watching :lol:

He use to supercross in the 70's

only thing about the 2 stroke is gov. wants them gone and if they do go bye bye, parts will be hard for them

·
Registered
145 Posts
i wouldnt get a 250 4-stroke, if he wants to keep up with the raptor he will need a 426 or 450.

i dont hate on either 2 or 4 stroke bikes, 2 is better for racing and 4 is better for trails IMO

you get a much more managable powerband with a 4stroke which is useful in trails :)

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Flynbyu said:
Dragonz has a nice backyard.

:lol:

~Brian
Yep, we got 6.5 acres!
Not really big enough to ride the rappy seriously, but still big enough to have fun!!

Thanks for your interest!! :lol:

Get your old man to ride a couple of bikes before laying out the dosh!
The 250 4 strokes make as much power as the older 2 strokes, & are easier to ride, don't beat you up so much.
If he wants to go hard core, get him to ride a 450 4stroke after the 250 2stroke.
Faster, more spread of power, & will let you be lazy & 'tractor' it along a trail if you get tired.
The 2 stroke is go or no, thats it!

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
kds6_10_05jmd said:
thought they where outlawing 2 strokes?
06 models still in the dealerships can be sold I believe. And some manufacturers are still selling 2 stroke MX bikes "for closed course competition use only" to get around the emissions restrictions.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Mate of mine rode the 2 & 4 stroke 250's & then went for the 2stroke.
After a month he had a ride on a 450, now he wishes he got the 450!
Check the stats, most about 110-115kg with electric leg, & 50+hp
Very hard to go past one in favour of the 2 stroke uness you are hardcore racing!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my dad def. wants really good power and low maintenance. He loves 2 strokes but we are worried if public parks and riding areas will start banning 2 strokes.... also he bought a 650 dirt bike about 6 years back then sold it saying he would much rather have a 250 2 stroke!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Machy said:
my dad def. wants really good power and low maintenance. He loves 2 strokes but we are worried if public parks and riding areas will start banning 2 strokes.... also he bought a 650 dirt bike about 6 years back then sold it saying he would much rather have a 250 2 stroke!
The difference between an older 650 dirt bike & the new 450's is light & day!!
the 650 would have been 130 - 140kg!! & maybe 35hp.
If your dealers are any good you should be able to get a test ride on several different bikes.
I'd go for a 450 4st any day, look how good a 450 quad goes!
The bikes make more power & are wwaaaaayyy lighter!!
& you can't beat an electric leg!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dealers around here are pissy and wont let you even start up a machine until you buy :lol:.... :mad:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts