Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, first time post, first time quad ownership/restore. I have bought this Moto 4 and im trying to identify which model it is exactly as i can't buy parts until i do etc. YES i know the VIN number should tell all. problem is it is very very rusty and i can't find the damn thing anywhere.

Web says left side near foot peg, i can not see one anywhere.

So this model has 2 shocks at the back, 2 square headlights, and engine number 8HT-050787 stamped deep on the top centre right gearbox case, and 1500cm on the right top smaller side case?
any help or clues much appreciated.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
VIP
1,112 Posts
Welcome to the forum,

It's not a 200, as they were basically a 3 wheeler with a front frame welded on and some add on fenders. Pretty crude looking.

My guess would be an 86 or 87 Moto4 225. If you can post a photo of the other side of the engine, so I can see the reverse shifter mechanism, we can tell if it's a 225 or a 250, as they had different shifter setups.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum,

It's not a 200, as they were basically a 3 wheeler with a front frame welded on and some add on fenders. Pretty crude looking.

My guess would be an 86 or 87 Moto4 225. If you can post a photo of the other side of the engine, so I can see the reverse shifter mechanism, we can tell if it's a 225 or a 250, as they had different shifter setups.
Ok wow what a great site to get such quick answers thanks Guys. OK I just covered the whole from in rust eater, in anticipation of painting it all with hammerite black etc. Still did not see any Vin numbers and i covered every inch. Also was looking out for "Grinder marks" in case someone had "Borrowed it" at sometime i the last 30 odd years? but nothing like that anywhere.
So here are pictures taken this morning. hope it helps?
Carb is still original mikuni looks saveable. Will be replacing all cables and anything else it needs?
My man problem is being exiled in Ireland, you can't buy ANYTHING here, unlike you guys in the USA and Canada. So everything will have to come from china Uh.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive exterior Bicycle part

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
129 Posts
First off congratulations on the new atv. It's a addiction that never goes away. Here's from a website on moto 4s.

"All Moto-4 models have this code marked on the frame near the left footpeg when seated on the ATV. However, this specific location may change from year to year. Other areas where you can find the VIN are between the engine and the A-arm, on the neck of the frame close to the triple-tree, or slightly forward on the front-left footpeg. Cleaning the frame with a wire brush will help make the VIN more visible."

Here is the website link if you are interested in reading up.

·
VIP
1,112 Posts
Perfect. The pictures of the Hi-Low rage shifter assembly and the black plastic crankcase cover just behind the foot peg show that it is a 225.

The Moto4 225 was produced from 86-88 and then they changed it to a 250 model in 89. The only years with available with the blue plastics are 86 and 87. If you order parts from either year , they will be the same.

Surprisingly a lot of parts are still available from Yamaha, including the plastics which amazes me.

Have fun with the restoration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect. The pictures of the Hi-Low rage shifter assembly and the black plastic crankcase cover just behind the foot peg show that it is a 225.

The Moto4 225 was produced from 86-88 and then they changed it to a 250 model in 89. The only years with available with the blue plastics are 86 and 87. If you order parts from either year , they will be the same.

Surprisingly a lot of parts are still available from Yamaha, including the plastics which amazes me.

Have fun with the restoration.
Oh Brilliant Thank You Chimbaziod! Now i can order parts with confidence. Don't know if there is a place to show my restoration on this site? is it just for "Raptors"? Only thinking it might help/encourage others? Great site, great Reponses Thank You Raptor forum.
Next is the Electric, which im dreading, just going to replace everything thats a box! Also will see if the stator flywheel will come off? Thanks again All :cool:

·
Administrator
9,451 Posts
Post the restoration progress in the “other Yamahas” sub thread within this forum @racingmad . If you need help finding it let me know. We love a good restoration thread!

Reactions: Sixpack577 and Trev

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys new to the scene as well
I have a Moto4 200 cc and she sits to low at the rear can push down and hit the airbox not sure if the shock is correct any clue if any other model shocks fit it like racingmad am in northern Ireland and hard to get parts

·
Administrator
9,451 Posts
Is there rear shock adjusted correctly? Search up how to adjust shocks in here, there is a good thread somewhere as a sticky.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts