Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Yamaha raptor 660r that will not start. The dude told me it was a starter issuer so I bought and installed a new starter. We just recently found out that my neutral reverse wire is broke, and the dude i got it from said it has a new solenoid and the carb was just cleaned. I’m gonna try to upload of video of what it sounds like when we try to start it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It won’t let me upload a video, but if anyone is interested in helping, I can give you my email so i can send you the video

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

This sounds like something @QuadManiac could help you with. He is the resident 660 Guru, so be patient.

·
Registered
04 raptor 660. 686 big bore with open airbox/k&n. Big guns slip on exhaust
150 Posts
Does it crank? Sound like its just free spinning? The one way clutch is a weak spot on these. Would be my first suspect if it cranks but just spins.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there anyway I could send you the videos of the sound? I’m not able to upload them on here. Through email? Or text? Which ever you prefer

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I think you need 5 posts to post pictures or video.
So post something/anything 2 more times here and try again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I noticed the battery has cables attached? Is it just attached to a trickle charger or have you tried jumping it? Did you try charging it overnight? Is the battery dropping under 9 or 10 volts while you crank? Also noticed your airbox is very wet.. its either a battery issue or back to my previous one way bearing prediction

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is connect to a trickle charger and we haven’t tried jumping yet. I have to get a pair of jumper cables. We did charge it after night and I do believe my battery is weak. And what do you mean aBout a one way bearing? Sorry I am new to all this. Idk why my air box is wet I just bought a filter and just have to grease it up before i put it in. The liquid smells like gas.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You need to get the battery squared away first. If your lucky its your culprit. Try running jumper cables from your vehicle battery to the atv battery ( make sure vehicle is off, very important ) if she cranks then replace battery. If its still the same then suspect one way. #8 in diagram

Can be found alot cheaper on ebay or Amazon. If you have the money suggest L&A brand but I've gotten away with 50$ ones before and been ok.
This kit has the parts and gaskets needed. An L&A design one comes with a lifetime warranty I believe but are 3x as much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok wow thank you so much for the help. When my brother gets home we are gonna try to jump it and if that doesn’t work ill fix the starter one way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Np, its not really that hard of job and its a common issue with the 660's, just find a YouTube video. Ive been using that ebay linked one for over a year with no issues. Still alittle concerned about the amount of gas blowback into your airbox but maybe its because you've been cranking on it alot. Once its running you can see if the engine vacuum stops that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok thank you so much and It is also leaking oil we think from the bottom of the bike. I think it may be because the screws aren’t tightened all the way and there is a missing one. But do you have any idea?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pictures would help. I would also clean it up as good as you can after the pictures and then it will be more clear where its coming from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I’m gonna clean my bike really well. And I have to order that new part because it wouldn’t start when I tried jumping it. Also, do you know where to find those small screw that connect the wires to the solenoid?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hardware store. If you have one take it to match up if not take the whole solenoid in. Its probably a m5 x.80 pitch, not sure if yours is stock or not.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts