Raptor Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
a motor needs 4 things to run,, 1- fuel,- see if spark plug is wet, 2- spark- take plug out and see if it sparks, 3- compression, take a compression test, 4-, timing- some times a worn cam chain will jump

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I went to take off the cover on the left side of my engine and a whole bunch of oil just starting leaking out. At least i think it’s oil. And when we were able to get the cover off we noticed there was no gasket and that the stator is completely covered. We also noticed that all the gears look completely fine. Does anyone know where to go from here?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The oil is normal.
There is a starter bearing for smooth engagement to the flywheel gear.
The bearing is the common failure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The smaller pieces were found in the middle of the stator and the big chuck i honestly can’t remember. But it kinda looks like smaller fragments of metal in the second picture i just posted

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The metal looks like it came out of the bearing, and rubbed against the inner flywheel after and some shavings came off of there as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
ok thank you so much!! Do you know how i can get off the bolt to get to the starter bearing? I know we need a starter clutch wrench but we don’t have that rn. But we don’t know how to get the bolt off before we use the wrench.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
You need a special puller to get the flywheel off.
You can download the 660 pdf service manual in the 660 Stickie Section and it will walk you through it with pictures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Is it normal for it to leak like that? Ik i have to change the bearing we are getting to that. But I’m still confused on why it leaked like that.

·
Master of the Electron
15,334 Posts
Campbell, welcome to the forum!

1) that area is filled with oil... normal to leak out when the side cover is removed
2) your starter one-way clutch is the likely source of the metal you found - this is a very common failure
3) we suggest replacing it with an aftermarket part (L&L is one - L&L Extreme One Way Yamaha Raptor 660 Starter Clutch )
4) full instructions and an installation video are also available at that link
5) the tool required to remove is available at auto parts stores as a 'Harmonic Balancer Puller'
6) you may need to buy higher grade bolts for the puller at the same auto parts store - the included ones are cheap and often break when pulling the flywheel

Good Luck!

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thank you so much QuadManiac!! I will be working on my bike later this week probably tomorrow.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts