a motor needs 4 things to run,, 1- fuel,- see if spark plug is wet, 2- spark- take plug out and see if it sparks, 3- compression, take a compression test, 4-, timing- some times a worn cam chain will jump
I went to take off the cover on the left side of my engine and a whole bunch of oil just starting leaking out. At least i think it’s oil. And when we were able to get the cover off we noticed there was no gasket and that the stator is completely covered. We also noticed that all the gears look completely fine. Does anyone know where to go from here?
ok thank you so much!! Do you know how i can get off the bolt to get to the starter bearing? I know we need a starter clutch wrench but we don’t have that rn. But we don’t know how to get the bolt off before we use the wrench.
1) that area is filled with oil... normal to leak out when the side cover is removed
2) your starter one-way clutch is the likely source of the metal you found - this is a very common failure
3) we suggest replacing it with an aftermarket part (L&L is one - L&L Extreme One Way Yamaha Raptor 660 Starter Clutch )
4) full instructions and an installation video are also available at that link
5) the tool required to remove is available at auto parts stores as a 'Harmonic Balancer Puller'
6) you may need to buy higher grade bolts for the puller at the same auto parts store - the included ones are cheap and often break when pulling the flywheel