Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going everyone?!

Just recently traded off a TL1000 sport bike for my 2001 Raptor 660.

Here is what I know about the bike:

The Good:
01 660 with 686 big Bore kit
Has an aftermarket muffler of some sort. Remind me of a Super Trap...But I dont like it.
Has Nerf Bars and DG(I think) bumber on the front.
Just replaced the rear Dick Cepek tires with ITP Hole Shot MXR6
All Black Plastics in good shape
Installed New Grips back in Dec

The Bad:
1st gear is gone. Needs to be replaced. (Any suggestions would help as long as it doesnt get too expensive)
Front Tires are almost bald(soon to be remedied)
Have to replace rear brake caliper(Order already, and waiting to be installed)
Clutch needs some adjustment, almost have to let clutch completely out before it engages...

I dont know any much more than that, other than the choke cable has been disconnected from the Carb, and have been wondering if anyone else with the big bore kit has theirs disconnected as well and why??

It's a b*tch to start when it's cold, but after it's warm, it runs just fine.

I currently do not have any pictures, but I am to be home on vacation soon(I work overseas), and will get some while home and out riding.

Ummm A bit more about me:

I grew up in NH, but have been in KY for over 16yrs now and reside just North of Hopkinsville.
I am married, have 2 girls and 1 boy on the way(Due April 3rd!!!) :D :rofl:

I am pretty easy to get along with, and very laid back.

I enjoy riding trails, but will ride on a track if that is all we got to ride on...LOL

I like Hard Rock, Metal and 80's music....Like Bud and budlight, the colder the better.
Like Camping and grilling out...PS3, Xbox 360....movies...yada yada yada...

I think you guys get the drift.... 8)

Anyway, Pictures will be posted soon....and look forward to meeting, and hopefully riding with some of you in the future!!

Heavy D
(Neil)

·
Registered
521 Posts
if first is gone... find an 02+ tranny to put into/onto it. 01's are notorious for losing 2nd gear, and since you already have 1st gone, no use to replace that then have a high chance of losing 2nd down the road, best remedy both in 1 go.
front tires.. just get something you like and are known to be reliable (i myself want a full set of holeshot gncc's)
rear brake caliper.. easy to mount, 2 bolts, if not using the parking brake, id recomend getting a parking brake block off plate for the caliper.
and clutch.. shouldnt be too hard to adjust, adjust it down on the right side on the clutch linkage, hopefully its not the clutch plates (cheap enough to replace though).

and for hard to start when cold, check the valves and make sure theyre in spec, should be a sticky under 660 maintenance.

im sure quadmaniac and willykiller will chime in with their input (hopefully i didnt give any wrong info that theyll have to correct me on)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Most clutches do not engage until the last little bit of the lever returning to full out, make sure you have a slight bit of free play, 1/16th inch should be enough.......
And if first gear is gone as you say, I'm not sure where it went :D
Depends on how you explain how you mean it is gone, dloes it still shift into first and you have nothing or does it not shift into first gear, and if first gear just doesnt work, does it still have reverse....................

As far as the hard starting, this will be remedied when you get the choke operational............

·
Registered
521 Posts
did i give good info willy?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willy,

First gear is there, it's just when you shift into first and go easy on the throttle it works somewhat....When in first at light throttle it will be ok, acting as if it's slipping or falling out of gear. Give it a lot of gas it just doesnt do anything...

Reverse is still very functional!! 2nd gear is fine as far as I can tell. I can go hard as I want with it.

Front Tires:
I will be getting a matching set of ITP Hole Shot MXR6's for it. Since that is what I put on the back end, I thought it fitting to match them up on all four corners.

REAR Brake Caliper: Currently nothing is hooked up, was told that it was cracked or and just didnt work. So I bought a used one from a Recycler web sight (Will give out the link if asked) got it for $75 I think.

Anyway, going to replace and hook everything up and see how it goes.

CHOKE: Will get that hooked up as well and hope for the best!! LOL

New battery going in it too, it just doesnt get ridden as much as it should as I am the only one in the house who rides..LOL

Thanks for info guys...

·
Registered
273 Posts
welcome to your new home lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts